Sudden and big increase of data usage with iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetAddict, Jul 10, 2010.

1. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Hello everyone!! I've been a MacRumors reader for quite a few months and I decided to join the discussion. So this is my first post!!!

Here's something that concerns me a lot with my new iPhone 4. I went from a 2nd gen iPhone (3g) to the i4. I've had a data usage that only once reached 140Mb and usually was around 85Mb (as you can see in the picture). When AT&T :)mad:) announced the new data plans I thought I could save my self some money and switched from the unlimited to the 200Mb plan. This happened exactly one month ago and my billing cycle is every 14th. I've had the iPhone 4 since the launch day (aprox 2 weeks) and suddenly today AT&T tells me I've used my 200Mb and charged me another 200Mb!!!!

Before I start getting really mad with AT&T I'd like your advice. Is this normal with iPhone 4? Does multitasking mean that an app running in the background continues to use data? What else could be the fault? I'm asking because I honestly haven't changed my habits with iPhone 4 and didn't use 3g data that much. I don't tether or anything like this.

Has anyone else noticed increased data usage with iPhone 4?

Looking forward to your posts. Thank you!!!

Attached Files:

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

I never went over 180 MG at most (when out of town) and now, 3 weeks into my month, and seldom out of the house (where I use wifi), I'm at 350 MG. BUT... I attribute it to numerous speedtests I've done using 3G.

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Thank god for 2G iphone loophole. I've had my unlim plan for a week or so, and have blown thru over a gig in data. Gotta love 3G :)

4. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I use a very small amount of data every month on my Blackberry Curve using Edge. I was warned by the guy at AT&T that my data use would jump considerably when I got my iPhone4 due to the way that it send and receives data, and the fascination that owners have with the phone, and that there is more to see and do and that the phone works much better than what I am used to. So, I am expecting to go from minuscule to somewhere higher than minuscule.

5. mhdena macrumors 6502

You may be able to call and get your unlimited back, better hurry:D

6. Lostsol macrumors regular

Call and tell them it was a mistake. Mine actually was switched from unlimited to 200 mb when I upgraded. I caught it after about 4 days and called AT&T. The girl said that many AT&T employees were doing the switch to iPhone owners at the time they upgraded without telling them because they got a bonus(?) for the switch. Not sure why she told me that but she did.

Anyway, that wasn't what caused mine cause I bought online from apple. But she switched mine back. My data usage increased times ten so I'm glad I stayed unlimited.

Give it a try.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe you don't realize it, but you're playing with your new iPhone 4 more often than previously so it's contributing to the increased data usage? If so, it's just a temporary increase and will go down next month.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The Retina Display means that some applications will be downloading larger images/more content to fill the screen.

If you are using something like the Maps application that could mean quite a lot more data is being received.

The honeymoon period is obviously going to be a factor as well though.

9. elistan macrumors 6502a

Some people have reported that running Google Maps uses a lot more data than they expected. One of the supported multitasking features is location services, so perhaps Google Maps is staying running and pulling down maps data even when in the background? (I have no idea, I'm just speculating there.)

Others have reported a surprising amount of data used when taking lots of photos. Perhaps location tagging of a photo kicks on location services and keeps running in the background, download more location data as you move around, even if you're not taking photos at the time? Again, just speculation.

I don't have an iPhone 4 yet to test these.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The location icon disappears when I exit it so I don't think that's the case.

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I know when I first picked up my new iPhone, I looked at the data usage. It said something like 4GB already (it was literally 5 minutes old). I thought something fishy must be going on, so I reset that usage stats. Since then, it's been normal, but I don't know where that initial 4GB came from.

Later, after I returned the defective unit for a new one, the new unit had 1.4GB downloaded already.

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Did you restore from backup? That would keep the data usage from your old phone.

13. msavwah macrumors 6502

That's interesting.
    My iPhone 4 is showing more usage in 10 days than my iPhone 3G that I had for nearly two years.
    Did restore from backup so it makes sense. Will keep checking it.

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

Running os 4 on a 3GS and data usage is the same or less after going to the 2gb plans. I have free wifi at work and take advantage of it.

Unless you need your gmail for work set it for manual fetch and check it when you hit free wifi

15. garminaddict macrumors newbie

This right here is going to be huge. The better textures for Google Maps use a ton of data. Not to mention all the apps that have been improved with better bitmaps. And of course with a 5MP camera, images uploaded are way bigger.

God help those on limited data plans if AT&T ever allows FaceTime over 3G!

16. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

Anyone who is having this problem:

I also made the decision to go with the 200MB plan cause i never went over 200MB in the past year. After hearing about people simply crushing data with the new phone i called AT&T today and told the REP " I was looking over my bill and noticed that my data plan had changed and i wasn't sure why. I just upgraded to the IP4 and wasn't sure if that sparked it." She had no problem changing me back to my unlimited data plan.

And no i don't feel guilty for lying because we should have been warned that the new Phone would eat up data so quickly.

17. GadgetAddict thread starter macrumors 6502

First of all, thanks to all for your posts!

Eventually I called AT&T about this issue. The rep told me that switching back to the unlimited data plan was NOT an option. But she could switch me to the 2Gb plan and transfer all my current usage, as if I never was on the 200Mb plan on the first place. She also said she would inform her superiors that the iP4 probably uses more data. Good luck with this one...

From what I read from your posts and my personal experience, I believe there's no doubt that the retina display "draws" more data. Perhaps multitasking plays a role too but I can't be sure for this.

Once again many thanks!

18. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Funny thing is I just posted elsewhere, my iPhone 4 is using way less data than my 3G did.

I did not restore since I had 3 plus hour sync issues, so I bit the bullet and started over new.