Sudden ATI Radeon 2600 XT Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kenelm, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Kenelm macrumors newbie

I just received my new Mac Pro on Friday - it shipped with 10.5.4 installed. After looking at some of the new features of Leopard (had only used Tiger previously), I installed all the available updates -- these were:

Mac OS X Update 10.5.5
    Aluminum Keyboard Firmware Update 1.0
    Java For Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2
    iTunes 8.0
    Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 2.2
    QuickTime 7.5.5
    Remote Desktop Client Update 3.2.2
    Front Row Update

All the updates were successful and no issues were apparent until Sunday afternoon. The fan on the graphics card (ATI Radeon 2600 XT) now seems to be running at full speed, regardless of what is running. Just idling at the Desktop the fan still runs at full speed. A reset of the SMC has been done and a diagnostic as been run (no problems found). Is anybody else experiencing this? If it helps anyone, I've also posted my temps below:

Ambient Air 24.0C
    CPU A Temperature Diode 34.0C
    CPU B Temperature Diode 35.0C
    CPU C Temperature Diode 35.0C
    CPU D Temperature Diode 35.0C
    CPU A Heatsink 32.0C
    CPU B Heatsink 32.0C
    Hard Drive Bay 1 28.0C
    Hard Drive Bay 2 26.0C
    Hard Drive Bay 3 27.0C
    Hard Drive Bay 4 27.0C
    Memory Bank A Point 1 35.0C
    Memory Bank A Point 2 33.0C
    Memory Bank A Point 3 34.0C
    Memory Bank B Point 1 35.0C
    Memory Bank B Point 2 37.0C
    Memory Bank B Point 3 35.0C
    Memory Module A1 48.0C
    Memory Module B1 48.0C
    Northbridge Heat Sink 38.0C
    Expansion Slots 35.0C
    Power Supply Location 1 46.0C
    Power Supply Location 2 40.0C

Also, I did some reading and it seems that this issue has happened to others after they appllied the 2600 XT update from Apple. The update put their firmware at version .252. This is the version that is already installed on my card.

What I don't understand is that why for two days the fan never ran at full speed. It just suddenly started happening Sunday afternoon while I was burning some data to a DVD - the fan hasn't slowed down since.

2. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Mine has developed a "whine" sound. Anytime I go into fullscreen within iPhoto or ImagePreview, it will act up. I believe it's the higher RPM that's causing my particular issue.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

hey,

same issue happened to me. Ran on Full for over a day. And i wasn't even doing anything intensive. Just regular safari, itunes, and adium running.

I was going to bring it in to the store after trying reinstalling the os and all manner of troubleshooting.

However, since yesterday, it has gone back to normal, and runs quiet again.

No idea how it fixed itself, but I would suggest you wait for a couple of days.

4. Kenelm thread starter macrumors newbie

Well alright, I'll give it a few days.

zer0tails -- so now that fan is no longer running on full, is your mac pro back to be being whisper quiet?

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yes, whisper quiet! I love it. It's the way it should be. Not sure how it fixed itself but i'm not complaining. :)

6. Kenelm thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you please look and see what firmware version is on your Radeon? Also, what revision of the Mac Pro do you have?

Thanks.

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

It's the january 2008, 2x2.8 Mac Pro (stock). Updated all firmware incl. drivers for the ATI card, and running 10.5.5

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Any chance that you have Windows and can get GPU-Z?

9. Kenelm thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that my firmware is already up-to-date, there was never a Radeon update in Software Update, but what drivers are you speaking of?

System info shows the following:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x9588
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-252
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.252

10. Kenelm thread starter macrumors newbie

No, sorry, at the moment I don't have access to a Windows machine, nor do I have any type of virtualization software installed on here.

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

mine is exactly the same as that. Well, I think the drivers may have been included in the update or something. But when I tried to download and install the latest firmware on the apple site (released earlier this year i think) it said i didn't need it.

So i assumed it has the latest firmware, and drivers.

I'm abit puzzled why the ati card is acting like this. Is your mac pro a refurb? i'm beginning to think, it's a problem with the card itself, or this is just how it is.

EDIT: The noise is back....:S

12. Kenelm thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it isn't a refurb. It doesn't make any sense that both our cards start out silent, then the fan never stops, yours got quiet, and now it's running full speed again.

I do remember that right before mine went on full, it sputtered a little bit -- it revved high for two seconds, revved back down for two seconds, and then went back to high and hasn't stopped since.

13. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

kenelm: It's quiet again. You can call me officially confused!!

I have a feeling it might be a software issue and not a defective card.

I'm going to wait a couple more days and see how things turn out. My advice is you do the same. In the meantime, I'll keep you updated in this thread.

I thought of switching to the nvidia 8800 but apparently, some people who have that card complain about noise, others claim it's silent.

So not sure if that helps. I'm running my mac pro now with the stock 2gb ram. I'm wondering if that could be an issue. In any case, I've ordered 4 gb of ram, and i'm gonna install it as soon as it comes. Could always be a case of bad ram who knows, but i am just shooting in the dark here.

14. Kenelm thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, I think it's a software issue as well -- something to do with Apple's thermal management (or lack of) for that GPU. Even if I turn off the computer and leave it off for a day so everything cools down, right when turning on the machine the fan instantly revs to full speed. I miss those 1.5 days when I had to strain to hear if the computer was on or not.

15. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

If i'm correct, your computer will soon go back to being quiet for a day or two. Then rev up, then the gpu fan will start-stop, and then go back to quiet.

Not sure what happens after..but hopefully a happy ending.

I believe i bought my machine a day or two before you. I say, we see where this goes, and if things don't improve before the 14 days, then take it back and see what Apple can do.

Personally, i think the ati card sucks. Maybe it can't mesh with the awesome 8 cores or something. Might be just me, but its like a cheap part on an expensive awesome machine. Kinda like a lambo with cheap plastic wheel rims.

16. Kenelm thread starter macrumors newbie

I received mine last Friday (26th). I'm going to monitor it closely. If the issue doesn't fix itself, do you or anyone else have a list of the video cards that are compatible with the Mac Pros?

17. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

we got it on the same day then. I don't have the list with me. But if you search the forums, I remember seeing one before. I don't think there are many options.

18. Kenelm thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the fan still runs at full speed -- hasn't slowed one bit. I finally broke down last night and purchased a passive cooler for the card. Maybe now it won't sound like someone placed a hairdryer in my case.

19. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

great to hear that. Mine is quiet again but if it starts up again, I'll look into your solution.

enjoy!

20. martyn58 macrumors newbie

I had mine 24hrs before the 'jet engine' started, called Tech Support ... removed power cord, hold power button in for 20 seconds, replace power cord, start, as chimes sound hold ALT CMD P R until chimes sound again.

This resets everything.

However the fan is still noisy, and not acceptable for a unit of this cost.

Which passive cooler will fit and do the job?

Thanks

21. mitson macrumors newbie

Hi, all!

I've had the same problem with my ATI card on my Mac Pro. It went to full revs and then slowed back down in a couple of days. Then in a few weeks it speeded up again and kept running at full speed. After trying every possible remedy I can tell you this:

It is NOT the card, it is the FAN itself. The fan has its own revs controller which is quite complicated and also quite impossible to repair.

If anyone knows where one can get a cooler fan for this particular card, we all would be glad to hear that.
    There is also a way to slow down the fan with a broken controller by lowering its voltage from 12 V DC to approximately 7 adding a 80 Ohm consecutive resistor to the red wire. This will keep the GPU much colder than in its normal state but still quiet enough not to hear the fan.

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Have you tried:
    digikey
    mouser
    allied
    newark

Beyond that, I'm not sure where else to look. :eek:

23. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

My fan just moos, up and down, up and down, up and down; so far I haven't hit a constant full blast. I received my MacPro first week of October. It is a 2.8x8 Refurb. The ATI card is by far the noisiest part on my system every day as none of the other fans even remotely move up. I don't know if I should call up Apple and ask for a replacement or what.

24. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

call Apple care and tell them to replace your graphics card. That's what I did and it solved the issue.

25. Oscar.dR macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I began having the same problem this very morning.

The sad thing is I already changed the graphics card two weeks ago (the previous one simply blew up), and now I have this. And the closest Apple Qualified Tech Service is 50 miles from home.

In my opinion the ATI Radeon 2600 XT simply sucks, so couldn't Apple replace the old defective 2600 for another model that doesn't burn out or which fan doesn't screw up at week two from replacement?

I'm beginning to think I paid too much for my Mac Pro :mad: