Sudden color problem with MBP display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luminosity, May 4, 2009.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Well, after not having any problems with my MBP for awhile, the display suddenly turned pinkish today (on both my login names) and has stayed that way. I'm actually on my second display, as my first one was replaced due to a problem that developed with it late last year.

At any rate, I'm at a loss to figure out what the problem is. I don't seem to have any color profile but a generic RGB one (no idea what I had before this afternoon, or if that's what I've always had), and I can't even calibrate that. I can't seem to calibrate anything, as I'm informed that a given color profile can't be found.

Any help would be great. I tried the repair thing, and it said that it found a bunch of errors and fixed two of three profiles, but I don't even know what that means, and at any rate, nothing seems to have changed.

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Did you restart? I've had the same thing happen to me a couple of times (although it hasn't happened in a long time), and a restart fixed it.

3. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

I did. No luck.

One unusual thing that happened this afternoon (right before the problem started) is that I traded a file via a flash drive at the photo place I go to, as I wanted to get a print made from a digital file. The computer they were using was an iMac, and I know it's color calibrated in the most correct way possible, given their business. Is it possible that somehow some information got passed along and screwed up my own profile? That's about when things went wrong for me (sometime after I reopened the file and then gave it back after editing it).

Also, I'm using a 15'' MBP C2D 2.33, and it's two years old now.

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I don't know enough about this stuff to help you, but I'm sure someone else will come along who can. Good luck.:eek:

5. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I highly, highly doubt this. I don't mean to ask the obvious, but have you tried calibrating your display?

6. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Of course. I'm told that no color profile can be found, and the only display profile I seem to have at all is the generic RGB one. Something definitely seems wrong.

7. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Ahhhh i hate slow people that dont read and just want to get their posts up. Its ok you will be able to put up an avitar one day.

8. hajime macrumors 68040

Since Apple replaced the motherboard of my 17" MBP last Fall due to the faulty GPU, I have encountered this problem several times. Usually a restart solves the problem. Anybody knows the cause? Is it because of the faulty GPU again?

9. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I did read it, I just misunderstood what he said. When he said he couldn't calibrate the RGB profile, I thought he meant changing the settings of the current profile. I'm not a post whore, I simply misread it. Sorry if I came across as being too lazy to read it.

to OP: Have you tried booting into windows or the install DVD? If the problem is still there, then it's definitely a hardware issue. If it's only in OS X, look in the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays. If there isn't any color profiles there, then try downloading one.