sudden crash / sudden freeze / sudden restart

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 617arg, May 25, 2010.

1. 617arg macrumors 6502

I'm hoping someone here can help. I've been having issues with my Mac Pro for two days.

It started yesterday with my computer suddenly shutting off out of nowhere. This has never happened before, and I have a battery back up, so it shouldn't happen. We did not lose power and everything else plugged into the UPS remained with power.

Later that day my computer just froze. The computer remained on but everything was frozen. Had to do a hard restart.

Today it froze again out of nowhere. I tried a hard restart. The computer restarted and then immediately shut itself down again. I restarted it again, it went through the start-up process then it shut down and restarted again by itself. It then once again froze.

I just restarted it again and I'm hoping it stays this way, but I have nothing else running besides Firefox.

I'm on 10.5.8

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. 617arg thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update........

After restarting yesterday all seemed fine. I then started up Fusion to get my Windows side running and left to pick up my wife.

Came back and heard what sounded like a leaf blower in the office. Turns out is was the Mac Pro fans. Computer was frozen again. Mouse could not move. Even the iStat menu was frozen.

I held down the power button to shut off the computer, restarted this morning, installed Fusion 3.0.1 and it seems fine now.

I'm hoping it stays this way. Any ideas of how to troubleshoot issues like these?

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

scary! to be honest i do hope that it is fusion causing the problems. the new version will hopefully fix it if it is.

just ensure that you have backups - 10.5.8 is a tad older now, and it could be anything really. it might be worth testing things individually, RAM, HDD etc.