Sudden data use increase with o2 in UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afd, Nov 10, 2010.

1. afd macrumors 6502a

I've been with o2 since the original iPhone came out and curently have an iPhone 4. I wasn't overly concerned with o2's data cap of 500MB as I couldn't download very much as I only get GPRS at work and at home. Normally I manage about 200-300MB. Since getting the iPhone in July, O2 had an unlimited data promotion, now thats over so I decied to check my data usage, I've somehow managed to use 487.67 MB of the 500MB with a week to go to the end of the month.
    I haven't noticed any change in my browsing habits or any change in 3G signal availability so why the sudden increase now unlimited data is gone?

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ideally best thing to do is check what apps are using the web, do you use push emails? has someone else been using the phone to browse the web?

Could also check with O2 for times an dates of data use to check when the data is being used.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

iPhone 4 uses more data than older iPhones in some places (because it downloads higher resolution images) - like the Maps App.

O2 has improved its Data Billing systems, so when you check your account online, it should be more accurate than it used to be.

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

O2 has a nice little app which you can use to check your details more accurately and saves going to website

5. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I have that app and there is no data info what so ever.

All it tells you is...
    Minutes remaining
    Messages remaining
    Recent charges
    Current tariff
    Current bolt-on's
    Your recent bill

Or is there another app synagence???

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected, its a while since i used it and i assumed it included data since it does everything else :)

I have the unlimited (pre iP4 plan) so i don't tend to worry about it

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

O2 has only been billing data as part of an inclusive allowance for about a month now and their App was released before that started.

I'd expect them to update it soon.

8. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have reset my usage counter on my phone so will see how closely the phone and o2 match up at the end of next month.
    I don't think that it could be downloading more just because it is an iPhone 4, it can't download any faster over GPRS. Maybe I was in a strong 3G area one day and downloaded more? It's not easy to work out from online bill as the data all seems to be added on at around midnight each day.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Why would the speed make any difference?

You can download any amount of data over any type of connection - some types of connection might take longer than others.

10. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

you might be able to download any amount of data over any type of connection in theory, but in reality you're not going to. You will be less likey to browse pages with graphics, as it'll take forever to view, you will not download much from itunes or be able to watch anything on youtube.