Sudden decrease in battery life

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by imgonephishin, Feb 16, 2008.

1. imgonephishin macrumors regular

Hey all. I looked through all of the posts I could find on battery life, but none accurately summarized my problem. I used to have great life on the battery. Starting one or two weeks ago, it's probably been cut in half or more. A few examples: I'll be at work where there's no wi-fi it could join, and listen to an album for an hour (with the display off, just so no one asks) and that will drain the battery at least 25%. If I'm not doing anything on it, it still drains a few percent an hour. Meaning, if I leave it in sleep overnight at close to 100%, I'll wake up with it well below 50%.

I don't want to get into a debate about sleep vs. powering down, because this never happened before. I have always just put my Touch in sleep and never any measurable battery loss the next morning. All of the sudden, I'm losing half or more. This makes me wonder if any programs programsare running in the background to drain that much battery? I didn't really change any device settings that I can think of. Thanks for any help. I'll list my installs here:

Development: Jiggy, Jiggy Runtime
    Games: 4Balls, Backgammon, Ball Fight, BlockPuzzle, Chess, Domino, FiveDiced, Garf, iBlackjack, iCrossword, iGo, iPhysics, iSolitaire, iZoo, Labyrinth, Lights Off, Mines, MobileTetronimos, Othello, Sudoku, TextTwist, TTR, Towers of Hanoi
    Apple Apps: Google Maps, MobileMail, MobileNotes, Stocks, Weather, Maps Prep, Mail Prep,
    Misc: iCountDown
    Multimedia: iFlix, Locations, MobileScrobbler, MusicQuiz, TuneWiki
    Network: AFPd, Stumbler
    Productivity: Books, MobileFinder
    Sources:Community Sources
    System: BSD Subsystem, Installer, Term-vt100
    Toys: Sand
    Utilities: Converter, HP-16C, PDFViewer, SysInfo, ToDo

2. twynne macrumors 6502a

I've found exactly the same since going to 1.1.3 and jailbreaking. The apps we have in common:

Games: iBlackjack
    Apple Apps: Google Maps, MobileMail, MobileNotes, Stocks, Weather, Maps Prep, Mail Prep,
    Network: AFPd
    Sources:Community Sources
    System: BSD Subsystem, Installer, Term-vt100

3. wilmor42 macrumors regular

wilmor42

i too had the same problem recently, my battery was going down fast, at first i thought it may had been my touchmods mic that was draining it but i stopped using it for a couple of days and my battery was still being wierd, i checked with the Sysinfo app but i couldnt seem to identify any process which might be the culprit, and then all of a sudden the battery goes back to normal.. i dont think i did anything different to usual, but now its fine and battery life is back to normal-very wierd..

i do have a feeling that it may be the wifi trying to connect all the time.. but i dunno..

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I had trouble with AFPd running in the background. I uninstalled it and now I'm back to normal battery life.

5. BassistKing1 macrumors member

6. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

Would it work to just shut it off when not in use? Or do you think you'd have to uninstall it completely?

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Don't know. I only use it every few weeks so I just uninstall and reinstall as necessary. It might not even be your problem.

8. twynne macrumors 6502a

I'm trying just that, and so far the results seem positive with only a couple days testing. I'll report back nearer the end of the week. I should point out that this will be only a subjective view of whether it makes a difference. :)

9. LastZion macrumors 6502a

What apps should always be running with Sysinfo? Is there a default list somewhere?

10. tennez macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue!!
    Any possible solutions?

11. stefan007 macrumors newbie

These are some handy tips:

- You have to make sure you have TURNED OFF SSH (in services). Only turn it on when you need it.
    - Always connect MANUALLY in your mail app.
    - I've read somewhere that you should best hold down the home-button for 7 seconds when you quit a program, so not just tap it, hold it down till the iPod goes to the main screen automatically. That way, the program is shut down completely, and so you prevent it from running in the background (which still happens when you only tap the home-button). Certainly for heavier apps such as SNES and so on, this can be important.

12. Tizzod69 macrumors newbie

Me too

I have noticed this as well. It's really freaking me out, as nothing has changed as far as settings or my use pattern (mine is not jailbroken btw). I want to know what's up because I'm getting maybe half the battery power I was getting just a few weeks ago.