Sudden decrease in SSD speed. (Crucial M4)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BeeJee, May 28, 2012.

1. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Hey guys and gals, I recently purchased a Crucial 256gb SSD when they were on sale a few weeks ago and at first the performance was awesome. But I just shut down my computer and when rebooted it started to act a little funny (my wallpaper was reset to factory) so I ran a disk speed test and the test showed that it is now writing 100mb/s slower than it was just a week ago! I understand that speeds will always vary a little however an almost 50% decrease is unacceptable to me. I hope I'm missing something as I want to get what I payed for and right now its not. Thanks a lot for anybody with any insight on the problem.

2. Ves macrumors member

Ves

Which firmware version are you one?
    Did you enable TRIM?

3. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Also, what were you doing prior to the shut down?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are putting it to sleep immediately after use perhaps? The M4 uses a method of garbage collection in its controller that runs during system idle time AFTER a lot of write activity. Try disabling sleep and just letting it sit running a couple hours and see if that restores write performance.

Read over the TRIM section of this review of another drive for an overview of what is going on.