Sudden Drop in Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Renator, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Renator macrumors member

I've had my IPT since January. I rarely use it for video intensive stuff, but I use it a lot for audio books and music, as well as some of its PDA functions.

I've generally had to recharge it about once a week. On Sunday night I charged the device, used it Monday for about an hour of audio and a few minutes of other functions. Monday night I noted the battery life was down to 1/2. On Tuesday morning I went to use it to listen to an audio podcast, and the battery was completely drained.

Also of note, is that I never generally turn my IPT completely off. I usually just leave it on standby.

I called Apple. They told me I needed to turn it off completely at night and needed to drain the battery down to almost nothing at least once a month.

Has anyone else had this issue? The Apple tech also suggested I may need to get the battery replaced if this continues. I was told that battery replacement can be done at an Apple Store. Does anyone know if this is correct?

2. cre8iv1s macrumors newbie

Sudden Drop in Battery Life

I'd suggest a prompt visit to the nearest Genius Bar. I experienced similar symptoms with an older version iPod Touch. Genius Bar ordered a replacement which took about a week to arrive at the Apple Store. But it sounds like your original warranty may have expired. You might look into gettting Apple Care before a year runs out.

I also recall seeing something about a batter replacement (for a cost) program to cover failing Touch batteries. You might want to investigate.