Sudden drop in performance.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nmitchell076, Jul 27, 2010.

1. nmitchell076 macrumors newbie

My macbook was running at basic, normal speed, nothing too serious for a year-old laptop, but suddenly one day, my performance dropped SHARPLY, to the point where it would take up to ten minutes to attempt to get to a page, and songs would freeze for about a minute about 3 times per song in iTunes.

It all started when I attempted to import a CD into iTunes (it was downloaded onto my HD, not imported directly from a CD), and I got the message "attempting to copy to the disk macintosh hd failed. the disk could not be read from or written to." About this time, my computer started acting unusually slow, (the problems mentioned above). I did some looking into this, and did both suggestions listed here (Disk permission repair, then manual iTunes folder permissions change):http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7623410#7623410.

After this my problems were eased for a little bit, I was even able to import the folder I had been unable to import earlier. But I tried then to import the very next CD (it was an 8-CD set), and then I got the same error. Thinking it was possibly a problem with a corrupted/infected file, so I ran a scan through my whole computer (using McAfee), which didn't return any problems. Then, on top of this, my mac suddenly stopped burning CDs, saying that the CD failed because of a "medium write error."

my problems are all still there, except that my computer isn't being unbearably slow outside of iTunes. But I am afraid that that problem will soon resurface.

Any ideas?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you have the time, try an archive and install. If it is still slow, it is most likely the hard drive starting to die. Make sure you have a backup of all your data.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It could be that your hard drive is failing. You can check by opening Disk Utility in the Utilities folder and seeing what it says when you select your drive. The thing to check is the S.M.A.R.T. Status in the lower right of the window. If it says "Verified" then it's good. Else it is dying. Even if it says "Verified" I'd still backup all your data.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The SMART status is not always 100% reliable, however.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Thus, the disclaimer.

6. nmitchell076 thread starter macrumors newbie

just to mention something, while repairing the disk permissions, I did a "verify disk" and this happened

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”

Performing live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Invalid directory item count

(It should be 40 instead of 39)
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.

The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

but the repair option is greyed, does this mean anything?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To fix it you'll have to start from your install dvd and run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and repair your drive.

Still if it is failing, backup your data.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try running the Disk Utility from the Mac OS X install disc.

9. Xenophon macrumors regular

Don't do a single thing until you have a data backup that's confirmed good. The other posters are right, that should be your primary concern. Then try resolving the issue with the install disk utilities but fwiw, I think the drive will go any moment and is better replaced.