Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Hello everyone, my iPhone 12 Pro suddenly dropped from 99% last month to 95% today, which was shocking to me.

I’ve never had an iPhone since this feature was announced ever drop this low. By the time I upgraded yearly it would be 98% left. My concern is that it has been a month last I checked from 99% to 95%?!

I’m on the alert now, I’ve owned this iPhone since January and it’s already dropping this fast. I only use MagSafe, but I never experienced this decline with wireless chargers before. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this before in a short amount of time?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Lol, this is the EXACT thing I have been talking about in these threads, some people see a gradual decrease while others sit at 100% for a long time and then a huge jump down. No matter what happens, this number is an estimate and your device is probably self correcting, do not worry too much about it. There is literally no remedy, you will think you have a remedy and then suddenly another jump happens in a few weeks or months.

Question, is your battery life still good? I am on 92% battery health on my over 1 year old 11 Pro Max yet I still easily get over 10h SOT with it, it does not feel that different to when it was at 100%. People need to remember that this is an estimate do not put too much focus on it, as long as your battery life is great, just enjoy your device!

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Lol, this is the EXACT thing I have been talking about in these threads, some people see a gradual decrease while others sit at 100% for a long time and then a huge jump down. No matter what happens, this number is an estimate and your device is probably self correcting, do not worry too much about it. There is literally no remedy, you will think you have a remedy and then suddenly another jump happens in a few weeks or months.

Question, is your battery life still good? I am on 92% battery health on my over 1 year old 11 Pro Max yet I still easily get over 10h SOT with it, it does not feel that different to when it was at 100%. People need to remember that this is an estimate do not put too much focus on it, as long as your battery life is great, just enjoy your device!
I’m not sure, I always have it charged. But I’m always noticing now that I can have it dip below 30% when I use it from a fully charged state.

usually with my previous iPhones they’re always charging until I leave the home or I use the phone instead of my other devices and I could never dip below 60% from using an iPhone. At least not with the iPhone 11 Pro.

I will have to test it myself tomorrow how long my iPhone lasts without charging and using it as normal

Reactions: Tsepz

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
Hello everyone, my iPhone 12 Pro suddenly dropped from 99% last month to 95% today, which was shocking to me.

I’ve never had an iPhone since this feature was announced ever drop this low. By the time I upgraded yearly it would be 98% left. My concern is that it has been a month last I checked from 99% to 95%?!

I’m on the alert now, I’ve owned this iPhone since January and it’s already dropping this fast. I only use MagSafe, but I never experienced this decline with wireless chargers before. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this before in a short amount of time?
Apple won't replace your battery if its capacity above 80% so keep using your phone : ) as far as I know, MagSafe/wireless charging will wear your battery faster because wireless charging, in general, generates more heat.
I got my iPhone in November I mainly use a 5w brick I have to charge my iPhone and my battery health is now at 99% already.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida

+1 here "as long as your battery life is great, just enjoy your device!"

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
I’m not sure, I always have it charged. But I’m always noticing now that I can have it dip below 30% when I use it from a fully charged state.

usually with my previous iPhones they’re always charging until I leave the home or I use the phone instead of my other devices and I could never dip below 60% from using an iPhone. At least not with the iPhone 11 Pro.

I will have to test it myself tomorrow how long my iPhone lasts without charging and using it as normal
The day I got 12/PRO my battery life sucked and it’s worse than my previous 11 which was draining super fast after the iOS 14 update!

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Apple won't replace your battery if its capacity above 80% so keep using your phone : ) as far as I know, MagSafe/wireless charging will wear your battery faster because wireless charging, in general, generates more heat.
I got my iPhone in November I mainly use a 5w brick I have to charge my iPhone and my battery health is now at 99% already.
Wireless charging never had an effect on my previous iPhones. The sudden jump after one month is the most concerning to me

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016

I never paid attention to my battery life, until now, and I don’t know the average.

I rarely used my iPhone today, and removed it from its charger at 8:45 AM, up until now it’s sitting at 50% with 2 hours and 52 minutes of screen on time. Is this okay?

If I doubled it then I guess I could go for a total of 5.5 hours if I used it to 0%

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I never paid attention to my battery life, until now, and I don’t know the average.

I rarely used my iPhone today, and removed it from its charger at 8:45 AM, up until now it’s sitting at 50% with 2 hours and 52 minutes of screen on time. Is this okay?

If I doubled it then I guess I could go for a total of 5.5 hours if I used it to 0%
You should be fine then, if you have not had to worry about the phone dying quicker then it means you are fine. Keep enjoying it.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
call Apple something is not right
I have, they said it's at 158 cycles and 1% degrading per 15 cycles is considered normal. Even if true, this has not been my experience with previous iPhones though. I never lost that much battery capacity in 1 year and I have always used my iPhones more or less the same amount.

Slowpc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2013
Winston Salem NC
I have, they said it's at 158 cycles and 1% degrading per 15 cycles is considered normal. Even if true, this has not been my experience with previous iPhones though. I never lost that much battery capacity in 1 year and I have always used my iPhones more or less the same amount.
Yep. Wife got her 12 just slightly after my launch and her phone is being charged about the same or more than mine and at 97% on her phone.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
I ordered my iPhone 12 Pro on the first day that pre-order started.

After two months of use, the battery health somehow showed 83%. I went to the local Apple Store and the employee told me that it didn't seem right. However, there was nothing she could do because Apple seemed to use 80% as the threshold for warranty replacement. I went to another Apple Store the next week. By this time, it dropped to 81%. The employee there didn't care and simply replaced it for me. Gave me a brand-new iPhone 12 Pro. As of today, it's showing 99% battery health.

Within 2 weeks I went from 100% to 96%

😫😫

Attachments

• 815F6BDE-A197-4B84-A6A7-894E94BFB126.png
    815F6BDE-A197-4B84-A6A7-894E94BFB126.png
    445.6 KB · Views: 598

Mr.Scarface

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
It is a heat issue. My Pro Max overheats and the flashlight shuts off. I just looked at my battery health - 89% in 9 months. I will be visiting an Apple store soon.

• Wow
Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It is a heat issue. My Pro Max overheats and the flashlight shuts off. I just looked at my battery health - 89% in 9 months. I will be visiting an Apple store soon.
That doesn’t sound right at all, I’d definitely be getting a replacement, my launch day 12 pro max hardly ever gets warm and battery health is still 100%

been fast charging since day one, the last 8 month I’ve been using a belkin 15W MagSafe wireless charger, also running iOS 15 betas.

SnyG

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2017
Liverpool, UK
My 12 PM has dropped from 97% to 92% and I’ve not even had it a year, you can really notice it too. My XS Max was still at 97% when I traded it in after two years :confused:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My launch day 12 Pro is at 87% battery health. While my old X with its original battery (grandson is using it) is at 85%.

I cannot make it through the day without recharging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.