Sudden flickering, now no boot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 617arg, Oct 5, 2012.

1. 617arg macrumors 6502

So, suddenly today, while I was working my screen froze and began just flickering. When it was clear this wasn't something that will just unfreeze or stop I shut off the machine (using the power button) and restarted. It made its usual dong but froze right after. I attached a picture of what the screen looks like.

Any clue what's wrong with it? My machine is an early 2008 dual quad core with 8800gt. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

The 8800GT.
    Boot with the shift key held down. Does it boot? Then try again. Does it still fail to boot? Look for people "baking" the 8800GT online. They are known for failing quite suddenly. Plan on a new GPU purchase in your future.
    Here you go:
    http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/18161

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

4. 617arg thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, sheesh..... Just tried restarting and just getting multiple dongs now, even while holding down the shift key. If I remember correctly this (the multiple dongs) is precisely what happened last time I baked my card.....

Can it be baked twice? Guess there's only one way to find out......

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Oh man. You already baked it? Why not twice then indeed.

6. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

The 8800GT is very famous for dying....
    I would look out for a cheap GT120 or so.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I'm surprised you are even asking what is wrong. :rolleyes:

Bake that puppy again. Whether it works or not, I'd order a newer card right now.

8. 617arg thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I only asked because the first time this happened the only sign was no screen with the multiple startup dongs. This time it happened while I was using the computer and actually had a frozen/flickering screen, with a startup screen like the one I posted above. When the multiple startup dongs began I kind of figured what the problem is......

Anyway, the card is baking. Hopefully this works again.....

9. 617arg thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to update - baking the card worked once again. I managed to get just over a year out of the card since the last time. I'm hoping that new machines will be out before this card dies again.......