Sudden interference in neighborhood - can't make/receive calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xury, Apr 19, 2009.

1. xury macrumors newbie

Strange issue, but the title pretty much says what I am having trouble with:

For the last two days my iPhone 3G has been dropping calls, immediately failing calls, and I have been unable to receive calls (they go to VM). I also have problems with texts, although I have full signal strength and have had no trouble with phone calls or texts for the last year that I've had my 3G.

The thing about this issue: It only happens in a 100 yard radius!

When I leave my neighborhood, all is well with the phone and it works as normal. Once I get two or three houses down from my home... the calls drop like gravity. I may every once in awhile get a call to connect, but it drops after no more than 10 seconds.

It seems to be interference somewhere (as in a wireless modem/router network, etc. nearby), or is that possible? I immediately suspected my new Ambient modem (from Charter, my ISP) as the culprit, but after disconnecting the modem I am still having the same issue, as well as my neighbor three doors down who is on AT&T and has a smart phone.

Charter claims they have never heard of this issue, and Apple says they can't help me.

Any thoughts?

2. Deatheaters macrumors newbie

maybe some little **** has purchased a cell blocker device or something, have look around your neighbours house, see if any new antennas have been installed that u where sure werent there, if not ask ur neighbours if they have had any problem with their mobile phones?

3. w3cum macrumors regular

interference

Do you know any ham radio operators? Let them know what is going on, there is a chance they can use their equipment to find the source of your issue.