Sudden Internet Sharing Problem with Firewall Enabled in 10.6.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nopstnz8, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Ok so within the last day my internet sharing has been working fine, it just won't let incoming devices connect to it. I.E. my Ipod Touch sees my MacBook Pro, but doesn't get an IP I believe, same case with my iPhone because it tries to use the Wifi, but since it can't properly connect either, it switches to 3G. If I disable the Firewall, everything works as it should, so the Firewall is definitely the problem. What I am stuck on is how to configure it properly so that I can use internet sharing, while having the firewall enabled. I haven't even touched anything related to the Firewall in months, so the fact that this just randomly happened is beyond me. I have even made sure that the internet sharing program in the firewall list has the "Allow incoming connections" toggle selected. I haven't touched the box that says "Allow signed software to receive incoming connections," but that box has always been enabled for months. I can't remember now, but I think initially when I came up with the idea that Firewall was causing problems, I noticed that the internet sharing program in the firewall config list actually had the "Block incoming connections" toggle selected. I thought allowing incoming connections would surely fix this, but I guess not. Anyways, if anyone could help me fix this I would greatly appreciate it. I could always just keep the Firewall disabled, but I don't really feel as safe doing this, even though Mac's aren't susceptible to viruses.

Oh and BTW, I've had 10.6.3 installed for about a month with no problems till today.

2. Nopstnz8 thread starter macrumors member

Nopstnz8

I'm also using Little Snitch, and have heard you need to enable port 80 and 443 for internet sharing and the mail app to work properly. I tried this, but both of them still don't work. Maybe I did something wrong, but do I even need the Firewall enabled if I have Little Snitch since they are basically the same?