Sudden iPhone 4 charging problem, no idea why!! help please help!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Harmush, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Right, my phone is fine, had it since launch day, never been out a case, love it look after it and its never been within 10 meters of water before that is suggested.
    Plugged it in the other night and nothing, it died. i was sad. left it plugged in over night and sure enough it had sprung back to life, as you would expect. only 30% battery though.
    Now when i plug it in, charger, ipad charger, usb to mac, usb to windows. it seems to charge for a split second then says "this accessory is not able to charge" or what ever the error message is.
    I can't understand why it would have suddenly started to do this. I've tired everything, soft reset, restore, restore from dfu mode.
    its really bugging me now because i really want my phone to be working as i am lost without it.

any idea's why and fixes if anyone has had the same problem.

thanks in advance.

2. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

Funny, a friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to him. All of a sudden - just competely dead. Had been working fine. He was able to swap it out at the nearby Apple Store n/c. He did make an appointment first.

3. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i have made an appointment for tomorrow, but i really need the phone for business this evening and tomorrow morning. if its the only way to get it fixed/replaced i'll have to wait.

4. macmunkee macrumors newbie

macmunkee

the EXACT same thing happened to me... on my 1st iphone 4!! the ONLY device that would charge my phone was a 3rd party car charger- so you might try that?

of course the 550 apple guys i talked to had never heard of such an issue, which is, ironically, the same thing they all said when the replacement iphone 4 they sent me became possessed & would suddenly & randomly start punching buttons OR CALLING PEOPLE when i wasn't even touching it (i swear, & i have witnesses)!! it called one of my contacts like 22 times in a row & he now thinks i'm some kind of psycho-stalker.

so, i'm on my 3rd 4... good thing the senior advisor i spoke with was outrageously fabulous!

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

There could be some debris in the doc connector of your phone. Get a light and look closely!

6. macmunkee macrumors newbie

macmunkee

ok, i did that, too... i looked with a 10x optical lighted magnifier... there was maybe a tiny little speck of dust, the thing was pretty darn new. i also took a peek at my kid's 3gs (my old perfectly fine 3gs) which looked like it was filled with peanut butter or something. of course, it's never had one single problem. apple sent me a new one. i just think it's weird that it wouldn't charge on any of the 10 or so official APPLE iphone chargers we have around here but it would charge on that 3rd party car charger.

it breaks my heart, but i'm afraid it's crap. and i bet all those verizon zealots are about to find it out.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sometimes those 3rd party chargers have a higher output, (3 amp as opposed to 1 amp on the Apple)

There are lots of iPhones out there (millions) that have not had any problem at all. People don't come on these forums posting about how they have never had any problem with their phone, they come on here when they have a problem, and are looking for help.:rolleyes: