Sudden lack of brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 90miles, Aug 31, 2012.

1. 90miles macrumors member

Hello all, long time follower and proud retina mbp owner here,

My issue is that my notebook suddenly adjusted its brightness to a really low level and I can't seem to change it, if I repeatedly press the brightness buttons up and down the screen gets well lit again but go bad when I stop pressing, any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

90miles

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

If its not plugged to a power supply than its probably auto dimming it to save battery power.

Check this link

uncheck bottom 2 options, see if that helps

3. 90miles thread starter macrumors member

It is connected to a power source, I've tried unplugging and plugging back in, rebooting, everything, could not come up with a solution....

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Check your Energy Saver options under System Preferences. Have you edited any of the options that are in there before?

5. 90miles thread starter macrumors member

I did not, The problem started yesterday when I left a web page opened and went to shower, naturally the computer was sleeping whenI got back, so I waked it up and there I was stuck with a dark screen

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I am trying to understand - you're saying that your screen is completely black and you cannot see at all, or that you brightness is dimming?

7. 90miles thread starter macrumors member

Sorry if I was not clear, my screen to the lowest possible level but it is still on.

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well the lowest possible level is pretty much dark and you literally have to hold the screen at an angle to even see. Have you tried the system setting changes mentioned above?

Are you typing on it now?

9. 90miles thread starter macrumors member

I've tried messing around withnthe sttings but failed to achieve any success, I'm typing on my iPad as the rmbp is unusable for now

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

That's okay, but you can still see right? There is a difference between the lowest possible level and being stuck on the black screen after pulling the computer out of sleep mode.

11. 90miles thread starter macrumors member

I can see it and if I keep going up and down with the brightness controls ot gets all the way to maximum, the thing is, it goes all the way back

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Try reinstalling lion, seems like a OS glitch.

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would agree with this, I am not sure if there is an easier process to fix the issue but this may just be your best bet.

14. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

By any chance, do you have an LG display?

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like your backlight is dead. Perhaps take a picture.

16. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

He said he was able to turn it all the way up, but it automatically decreases it back to the lowest brightness possible, soo backlight is most likely okay.

17. 90miles, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

90miles thread starter macrumors member

I'll clean install it and let you guys know....it is gonna take a life to download as I am currently in a hotel room in Brazil though

18. 90miles thread starter macrumors member

After three unsuccessful attempts at downloading the OS I've got to the point where I am questioning if there is another possible solution, if there is, please point me to it.

19. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I am not sure, perhaps take it to an Apple Store if you have one locally and see what they have to say about the matter.

20. 90miles thread starter macrumors member

There are no Apple stores down here, managed to get an HDMI cable from management and am using it in clamshell mode.....could this be an SMC related matter ? Thanks for the attention so far guys.....

21. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you have not done so already, you can go through the basic motions such as a SMC reset and what not - I am thinking your problem may be deeper than that though, something along the lines of faulty internal hardware.

22. 90miles thread starter macrumors member

If it is an internal failure I am gonna be pissed off, I'll not see my beautiful Saint Louis based home for a couple of months and am not spending much more than a week between places so it will be hard to get assistance, I'm also not willing to pay 5k on a similar machine as this is the price of the computer down here.....I really hope you are indeed wrong

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I guess I missed that part.

24. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I very well may be, not trying to scare or discourage you from fixing the issue, but if a reinstallation of OS X did not work then it sounds internal and hardware related of course.

25. 90miles thread starter macrumors member

The thing is, I could not complete the reinstallation process, the download failed three times, I suspect the wifi I'm on is not only slow but capped........way to go hilton