Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malivar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Today, I got home and turned on my iMac 21.5 inch. On a typical day, I'd here the "BONG" and then everything would be normal. Today, my fans, or something inside the computer, sounded like it was going crazy. I have no idea what's wrong.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
How long did the fan stay high? Did the computer eventually boot? Sometimes while installing updates, the fan will run at full speed while the update happens.

Malivar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
How long did the fan stay high? Did the computer eventually boot? Sometimes while installing updates, the fan will run at full speed while the update happens.

I'm on the computer right now to see if the fans quiet down... Nothing yet. The fans are STILL high. Hasn't booted, and I installed the new update like, 5 days ago.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
My 27" iMac fans revved up really high while doing a system update (I believe it updated the firmware). Shocked me for a second.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
Run AHT that came with your computer. High Fans often equals one of the sensor gone bad and there are many sensors on the MLB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.