Sudden motion sensor in action

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fowler., May 24, 2006.

1. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

:eek: Well you got me . . .

::20ROGERSC::

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I tried it on my PowerBook, and part of the problem users might be facing is that you have to hit it with some real force if you "tap" the screen as in the video. At the sensitivity level of the "tap" I think most people would feel comfortable using on their $2000+ computer, someone with a zealous space bar/return pounding habit would also register in SMS, especially if being used on a bed or a lap.

This would be better for the display frame/hinge/computer in general if it responded to tipping and not smacking.

3. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

it's another step towards the minority report computer! awesome

4. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

if i have it enabled and my computer on my lap, it's so sensitive that it actually will change desktops when i left one leg or the other (tilting it)

5. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Isnt this hack only useful for a Mac with multiple user accounts?

6. MustardMan macrumors member

In a word: no.

This hack is combined with software that lets you have multiple desktops - same account, but more than one desktop. This has been a common option on X-windows for many years, so any unix/linux geek is already used to taking advantage of multiple desktops. The neat thing here isnt multiple desktops (which have been done forever). It's the way you switch between them.

7. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

How do I get multiple desktops? Like... I only have one account and I would love to use the hack to switch between apps... how could I make use of the hack?

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You haven't read much of this thread have you?

Two words: Desktop Manager. You figure out the rest.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

Well, i got it working on my macbook.

Let's just say, the novelty of it wears off VERY quickly. When I put it on any sort of laptop stand or sometimes even just on the desk, a mere setting down a bottle on the table will cause it to switch desktops. Bumping into the desk does the same thing. Moving it around at all, lifting it an inch, whatever you do, it switches desktops. And best of all, it takes the most amount of effort to smack the laptop on the side of the display to get it to switch desktops.

It's great (I used it for a presentation and everyone's jaws dropped hehe), but not something I'd be using for more than just fun. The amount of force needed to switch by hitting the display is a bit much and worries me ever so slightly.

I recorded me playing around with it though: http://applegoddess.org/gallery/v/macbook/DSCN2618.MOV.html

Right, i also know that you can change settings, but any more sensitive and even typing will cause it to switch...any less sensitive and i have to hit the laptop even harder...no thanks.

10. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Does having additional desktops... say having 3 desktops, each one with only one app, use more RAM than just running 3 apps in one desktop?

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If you have 3 desktops with a different app and use the haxie the total ram used is the sum of the 3 apps being used plus the haxie.

man was that a geekie,mathematical answer or what! :eek:

12. thewongandonly macrumors newbie

I am considering of installing Smackbook as well, but I was wondering if this app/hack could interfere with iAlarmU or any other application that uses the SMS. Can smackbook be turned on and off...?

13. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

I have yet to try that with MultiAlarm and SmackBook but it shouldnt affect it becuase the way the motion/amstracker actually accesses the data