Sudden Motion Sensor Not Working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phenixdragon, Sep 19, 2010.

1. phenixdragon macrumors regular

I just dropped in a 1 TB drive into my 17" MacBook Pro and it seems like that the Sudden Motion Sensor doesn't work not. I do not hear the sound when it engages as I did with the stock 500 gig drive that was in there. My understanding is that the Sudden Motion Sensor was not built into the drive and it was built into the notebook itself. Shouldn't I still be hearing the drive stop when the Sudden Motion Sensor engages?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you have the WD or Samsung HDD? Can it be, that this HDD has its own shock protection system? If that is the case, it might interfere with the SMS. Or the HDD is that silent parking the head.

3. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I think it may be working. I tried downloading a large file and when I drop the notebook a few inches it seems to freeze on the download as before. I guess I just don't hear the heads stopping as in the old drive.

4. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Samsung.

5. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. So now that I have Windows installed I am noticing that the SMS doesn't fuction. Isn't it supposed to also work within Windows?

6. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone?

Just to also add to what I am seeing. I just put in the stock 500 gig drive and while booted into Windows, I can see the SMS working properly and pausing while transferring large amounts of data when it kicks in. With the new 1 TB Samsung drive, data transfer keeps going and I do not hear SMS working.

While in OS X the new 1 TB drive seems to pause when SMS should be engaging but I just don't hear any sounds as the stock Hitachi drive made.