Sudden Motion Sensor - Useful or Just Annoying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookPro13", Mar 26, 2011.

1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Tonight I realised that you could actually disable that annoying *clank* sound when you move your MacBook Pro, that is Sudden Motion Sensor.

The noise was very annoying for me if I had to move my MBP from my desk to my lap or something like that.

Is there much of a risk of the hard drive getting damaged now that I have disable this? Would be great if Apple introduced a silent SMS, because to me, that noise is just like nails on a chalkboard.

Is SMS useful or does it annoy you?

(I hope I have helped a few people who didn't know what the noise was, aware of what it actually is, and have allowed you to disable it too).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's difficult to tell how much risk there is of damage, but there's certainly more risk than there is with SMS enabled.

I wouldn't recommend disabling it, except in rare circumstances. I certainly wouldn't recommend it just because it's "annoying".

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you sure that your hard drive is OK? I've never heard this "clank" across three different systems.

4. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Almost every time I pick it up there is that click/clank that I have been told is the SMS.

It's worse than annoying.. seriously :(

5. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

My 2011 13" does this a lot too, what is actually happening when it makes the sound?

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

with it disabled ... you may damage your HD one day with sudden movement

get an SSD and you will not have to worry about the SMS

7. SidBala macrumors 6502a

It is not the SMS that is actually making the noise. The SMS is just a MEMS accelerometer. It is totally silent.

The noise is coming from your hard drive parking it's head to prevent damage to the platters.

You should leave it on.