Sudden Motion Sensor with 2 HDs (1 is a SSD)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fps, Jun 7, 2010.

1. fps macrumors member

Hi
    I've just installed a Crucial C300 256Gb in my Macbook Pro 17" and replaced the Superdrive with a Seagate 500Gb.
    I'd like to disable the SMS for the SSD but keep it for the 2nd HD. Is there anyway to do this?

I believe the following is for all drives at once.
    # to disable
    sudo pmset -a sms 0
    # to enable
    sudo pmset -a sms 1

Thx
    Frederic

2. jungk704 macrumors newbie

There's no SMS feature on the superbay drive, so you just need to install the HD in the main HD bay and your SSD in the optibay.

EDIT: I'm assuming by Seagate 500gb you are talking about the Seagate momentus or Seagate momentus XT. For a hard drive to benefit from SMS in the superbay, it must have its own built in SMS feature. As far as I know, the Seagate Momentus/XT does not come with built in SMS.

The terminal commands you have are correct, but it ONLY affects the main hard drive bay.
    If you don't want to take part your computer again to switch the HD's then you should at least use the command above to disable SMS for the main hard drive bay and just be careful not to drop it because you WON'T have SMS for your Seagate drive.

EDIT: =] I think all caps on some words made my post sound mean... so here's a smiley face. =p