Sudden Motion Sensor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lasalzil, Jun 7, 2010.

1. lasalzil macrumors newbie

I just bought a MPB 13" about 2 weeks ago. Since day one I noticed a "tick" or "skip" on the right side of the trackpad. My sister also just got the brand new MBP 13" this past weekend, and her computer is not making the same noise as mine when doing the same motion that seems to be setting this "tick" off on my notebook.

Where exactly is the SMS located and what does it sound like?

Does this all seem normal to you?

2. mikeherdes macrumors member

You could have a faulty hard drive.

Does it ever make the clicking noise when the computer is stationary on a flat surface?

3. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

If you're having lot of beach balls or freezes then you might have a faulty HD, if not is maybe SS is sometimes louder in some MBPs than others...

4. lasalzil thread starter macrumors newbie

I just went down to the apple store and they ran some tests to make sure the SMS was working properly, and also did 3 tests for the hard drive and everything came back OK. He said that each hard drive is built differently and it's possible mine is more sensitive. He said if it continues to increase, or is more frequent, they can always replace the hard drive.

5. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

6. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

A question: Is the motion sensor part of the HDD, or something separate? I replaced the stock HDD with a 7200RPM Travelstar and don't know if my MBP is still protected.