Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kittymama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Hello, I have a MacBook from 2008 that has worked perfectly the past 3+ years. Today I tried opening a PowerPoint file in Microsoft Office 2008, but the file never loaded - the Powerpoint icon bounced up and down for a while, and then all was still. The computer froze for 1-2 minutes before finally the "Powerpoint" orangeish logo appeared, but my file never opened. The same was true for Word when I tried to open a doc file. What's worse is that my computer slowed down during and briefly after this. I had to wait several minutes after trying to open the files before I forced-quit either Word or Powerpoint. :eek:

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I last used the software on September 1st or 2nd and they were working just fine. I decided I would uninstall everything and reinstall when I get home later. Does that sound like a good idea? What if after reinstalling it still doesnt work?

I *really really* need these programs to work this week as I am giving a big presentation on Saturday and need to get information from Word and make a new Powerpoint!!

THANKS FOR READING I REALLY APPRECIATE ANY INPUT! :cool:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You could see if the plist files are corrupt. Go to /Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft

find the files ending in .plist for PowerPoint, Word, etc.
drag those files to your Desktop
now try the programs

if all is well, you can Trash the files you moved
new ones have been created

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.