Sudden re-activation on iPhone - but not working

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by johnnielse, Jul 20, 2013.

1. johnnielse macrumors newbie

My iPhone suddenly jumped out of the app I was using to the activation screen. No idea why. From here it is impossible to reactivate it. It just says that the activation server is down at Apple's end.

Using iOS 7 beta 3.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. johnnielse thread starter macrumors newbie

bump. This thing is still going on.

Anyone else having problems activating their developer-registered device right now?

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

Didn't experience this. Are you sure your device is registered?

4. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Well, Apple Developer Site has been down for 2 days now !!

Not sure why it jumped to that screen but ..

1) If you are a regd dev with UDID registered then you just have to wait it out till the site comes back online

2) If you were not and have no idea if your phone's UDID is registered or not, then you are out of luck

5. johnnielse, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

johnnielse thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the device is registered and has been for 1½ year now. Have also been using iOS7 since beta 1 the day after WWDC release.

The strange thing is that if I connect my phone to iTunes it says that my software has expired. This is strange.

I think that it has something to do with Apple's dev portal being down. I seriously hope that this can be resolved soon. Might have to downgrade to iOS 6 but not sure if it will help.

6. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Yes downgrade will work just fine but now I am scared and hoping it doesn't happen to me .. LoL

7. johnnielse thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought more would have experienced it. At least it seems to be connected to the dev portal being down.

I don't hope that Apple's servers have been hacked or something. And that something like that has caused it.

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

Are you sure you're on beta 3?

9. johnnielse thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, absolutely sure. I have used all three betas and beta 3 is the only one that was stable on my iPhone 4S. Has been running it for 2 weeks since Monday 8th.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If this had happened or was the cause, the whole world would be affected, not just 1 solitary individual.

11. johnnielse thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay guys this is hilarious. I've thought hard about what has caused this and I think I have the answer.

You know Candy Crush, the game? It's a freemium puzzle game so whenever you lose you can either wait for 15-30 minutes (sometimes a whole day) or use real dollars to proceed. I quickly found out that instead of waiting you can just adjust the clock in the iPhone' settings.

I know I reached the end of August by using this trick so I must simply have reached August 29th, which is the expiry date of iOS7 beta 3. Hilarious and a bit sad. Haha :D

Downgrading to iOS6 now.

----------

So it seems that it did happen. Jikes. The servers were hacked. But it was not the cause for my problem.

12. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Bahahaha, that's hilarious to me for some reason! It's like a microcosmic Y2K bug. I hope you stocked up on non-perishables. :D

13. johnnielse thread starter macrumors newbie

I downgraded to iOS6 and has upgraded to iOS7 beta 3. Everything works again. :)

14. emckai macrumors regular

Good to hear that everything is working again!

15. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Dude. Hahahah. :D:D
    Awesome.

16. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

Still, an important, accidental doscovery, well done.

17. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

How did you update back to iOS7 ? On one of my other phones, it keeps saying Apple Update Server is unavailable (because of the dev site outage I guess) and doesnt update

18. johnnielse thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded the iOS6.1.3 ispw file and the iOS7 beta 3 ispw file. I just found them via Google as Apple's dev portal is unavailable.

After that I installed iOS6 by holding shift (I was on a Windows PC at this time) and clicking update in iTunes. After iOS6 was done installing I did the same thing with iOS7 and recovered photos, data and app data via iCloud.