Sudden shutdown late 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rankrotten, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

Working with my 13inch MBP TB outside on battery last night and it suddenly powers off, trying to awake it shows the dead battery and power indicator onscreen. Took it inside to a power outlet and connected it up and it had the grey screen restoring from hibernation and then back to life showing 62% power remaining.

Have booked an Apple Store genius bar appt early next week to check things out but not happy that the MBP powered off in the middle of a job with ample charge remaining. Battery checks out ok showing 22 cycles and 96% health.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

3. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Try to do SMC reset, this can bee one time issue due to something corrupted in the SMC configureation.

4. Rankrotten thread starter macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

Done several SMC resets since getting the MBP with no difference.

5. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Ok, I do hope that they can repair it.

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

Sounds like it is time to visit the Apple store.

7. ionantonak macrumors newbie

ionantonak

I was testing different thermal pastes for my late 2016 MBP and I found out that if the temperature of the CPU PECI goes over 89 degrees Celsius the laptop shuts down (both in windows and Mac OS ). You can check the CPU temps with something like istat menus or the intel power gadget or visit the Apple Store :)

8. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

89c? That seems a little low, given the tJunction is 100c.... but I have no way to verify as I can't get the bloody thing past 71c

9. ionantonak macrumors newbie

ionantonak

I dont recommend it but, if you set the fans to low in windows and run prime95 or open n number of times terminals and type yes (if I am not mistaken), where n is the number of threads your machine has it will shut down when it reaches 89