Sudden Shutdown, MBP Won't Charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacOCD, May 21, 2011.

1. MacOCD, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011

MacOCD macrumors regular

Last night my MBP had two sudden shut downs, both times while it was being moved. Based on my knowledge it seems like a sudden shut down because the computer thought it was too hot, but it wasn't hot at all. I know the first gen mac books had problems with thermal glue, but not sure if MBP's have that problem. Anyway, after both shutdowns it took around 20-30 minutes for the charger to start working again, but it's not working at all now, and there hasn't been a sudden shutdown since last night... I'm not sure what to do :confused:

I know to do an SMC reset on a MBP the charger needs to be in, but it isn't working so I don't think it will do anything.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

EDIT: I plugged my brothers MacBook charger into mine and it seems to be charging fine... Not sure why my charger broke, it worked this morning :\ Does any one know if faulty chargers can cause sudden shutdowns? If they don't, theres still a problem I guess.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

A bad charger combined with a bad battery will cause sudden shutdowns. The silver-key MBPs have batteries that when bad commonly cause sudden shutdowns when running on just the battery. If you have a bad charger, then you could easily think you're running off AC when you're really running off the battery.