Sudden Shutdown without warning, previous shutdown code: -2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scottttocsscott, Apr 23, 2010.

1. scottttocsscott macrumors newbie

Hello All,
    I've had my MBP since Oct of 2007. About 2 weeks ago it would not turn on so I had the logic board replaced. After I got it back it would randomly shut down, the only solution I could do is take out the battery and work at the lower clockspeed but it still shut down without warning, just less frequently. I thought it might be the power cord or the battery so I got those replaced but it is still happening. The first day I had the battery (yesterday) it worked fine, no random shutdowns, I calibrated the battery per apple instructions and today it worked great (during charge up and plugged in at full charge) for about 5 hours, then it shut down, I turned it back on and it shut down shortly after, I reset the SMC by taking out the battery and holding down the power button and putting it back in and it shut down again, then I tried to run the hardware test and it shut down again so now I am posting this out of frustration. I also reset the pram and it shut down again. Now it won't stay on for more than getting through the login screen. I don't have applecare but they replaced the logic board for no cost (which I don't fully understand), I'd rather not take it back but I will if you guys have no ideas. I looked up (with difficulty) the previous shutdown code: -2 (http://www.macwizard.com/errors.html) and it said it was a "General System Error (VBL Mgr, Queue) -2 vTypErr invalid queue element" but I have no idea what that means.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions, do you think it would help if I reinstalled the operating system? I really don't want to buy another computer or pay more to fix this one.

Thanks!
    Scott

MacBookPro3,1

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

If it works OK at the lower clockspeed (without battery) it could be a CPU overheating issue (long shot?).

Try downloading iStat Pro and look at the temperatures. I can't remember what "normal" temps are for that model however. But the CPU will shut down at something around 120 C though it depends on what CPU model you have.

Maybe Apple messed up the heatsink installation????????

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's a hardware issue. I had the same issue with my 1.86 MBP. Very annoying as I lost a lot of pictures during a vacation b/c of a random shut off while on battery power.

First time is happened Apple blamed the battery and replaced it. Second time they said it was the logic board and replaced it. Third time blamed the battery again and replaced it. This was in a one and a half year period. I didn't have AppleCare, but the batteries were a known defect and Apple extended the warranty on them past the original one year period.

I'd take it back an see if they will re-fix for free -- if the logic board was recently replaced it should be under a 90 day warranty.

If they won't repair a no cost then sell it for parts. It's not worth repairing at this point.