Sudden Slowdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Auzburner, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Auzburner, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Within the past few days my boot time has multiplied by approximately 5 times. During the one day change two things happened on my machine that are the likely culprit. One, I began using the already installed Office Mac 2011: Outlook which I believe is the problem, but I also installed a new Steam game "Left 4 Dead 2".

What I'm looking for is ideas on how to fix the problem. I've tried verbos mode to see if something is causing a delay, but I'm still booting on my SSD and things are still quite fast. Last week it would make a half of a single turn on the Apple boot screen with the pinwheel. Following the changes, suddenly it spins 5 times... The fan also rev's very high when I'm finally to my desktop.

Any comments, questions and help would be very appreciated. I've tried many things, I'm a computer tech, and if you need any command line information that would be help, let me know.

Machine specs are in SIG

Thanks!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Check the usual suspects:
    * under syspref, is your SSD selected as the boot drive
    * reset the PRAM
    * reset the SMC
    * repair disk permissions

Let us know which one, if any, fixed your boot time.

3. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm away from my MBP atm, but one thing I did not try out of your list is resetting the SMC. Will try that.

Thanks

4. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

No luck. I can't seem to get things back to where I was performance wise just last week.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

So, you tried all the options and still no change? If that's the case, your system probably needs some time to adjust with the new installs, just use it like normal and am guessing after 5-10 full shutdown/restarts, your system should be back to where it was.

6. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

No improvement at this time. I've restarted probably close to twenty times. Anyway, I'm getting even greater fluctuations in boot time. I booted into Verbose and noticed it hanging on IPv6 for a little while, but not noticeably long.

Additionally, this morning - I booted to find all hardware and the OS completely unresponsive with the exception of my Magic Mouse. I could move around the UI, but could not interact such as right click, highlight and the dock would not even appear. Again, the boot is taxing the system to the point where my fans kick on high just when the desktop appears. The boot made my keyboard and touchpad unresponsive. I've tried it all. TechTool Deluxe finds all hardware in perfect working order and I have no reason to believe otherwise. This machine is babied and there should be no reason other than a burp in my software to be the cause of the issues. Once I've booted though, I find no change in speed, responsiveness or any bugs.

This is so strange. Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated from anyone! Thanks.

7. Branskins macrumors 65816

Does your activity monitor show anything? Is something using a lot of RAM or CPU?

I don't see how installing programs could affect the system when they aren't even running...unless they messed something up during installation?

Have you done any hardware upgrades lately?

It could be the SSD actually. I heard overtime many of them degrade and become slower

8. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I've been monitoring Activity Monitor heavily. Nothing out of the normal. No hardware changes have been made either. I doubt it's the SSD at such a young age. I got the machine in July, so I wouldn't immediately point to that...

Now, recently Apple did point to the Canon printer driver update. I'm going to reinstall that. Dec 14, 2010 was the date of that update and I've heard they can be very screwy...

9. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Well, I ended up running a batch of utilities, all with no luck. Out of nowhere, the MacBook Pro went back to its rapid boot today. No changes, modifications or change in habit whatsoever. Very strange, but I'm very happy to see things this way nonetheless.

10. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Hmmmmm

That is very odd? If you find out what the issue was do let us know. I was finding this to be very interesting :)

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It could have to do with steam using network resources.