Sudden strange display/Quartz problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CollinFeigle, May 26, 2013.

1. CollinFeigle macrumors newbie

So, I'm running 10.7.5 on a 3 year old Mac Pro. About a week ago, I was using one of my two monitors in the living room attached to a different computer. I did a software update while only using one monitor on the Mac Pro, only to find that the one left plugged into the Mac will not work with the second plugged in. It is not a monitor problem, as it works with every other computer in my home. No displays are detected, I've rebooted several times, and this is only the beginning of the problems.

Then, I find that the display will not sleep. If I put the machine to sleep, the only difference is that the mouse is inactive until I click it or hit something on the keyboard.

Then, I try to watch a movie using VLC, only to have an error message come up that my Mac doesn't have Quartz Extreme acceleration, in the error details: "failed to create video output".

Also, if I unplug the monitor that was moved (not plugged into the Pro for a while), then restart with only the crappy monitor (the one that I was using on the Pro solely), nothing is displayed past the grey startup screen.

Any ideas?

(Thanks in advance, I've creeped the forums for ages and have always found what I was looking for, but this is baffling.)

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Software Update what, what did the software update, firmware?

If the software update was 10.7.5 for instance download the 10.7.5 Combo Updater from Apple downloads manually and manually reapply the update.

3. CollinFeigle thread starter macrumors newbie

Sudden strange display/quartz

The update was Airport Utility 6.2, Java, Safari, Security Update 2013-001, and iTunes 11.0.3.

4. CollinFeigle, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

CollinFeigle thread starter macrumors newbie

And now, after trying to follow your advice, I get the message "The following disk image couldn't be opened" reason: not recognized.

[UPDATE]: The failure to recognize was due to a bad download. However, now when I try to install it, the installer says that none of my disks meet the requirements.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The one in bold is the only one which could potentially interfere.

If the software does not install I would try to do a manual Update/reapply of your System, the better one is the OS X 10.7.5 Combo Updater, they are fairly big though, this WILL install.

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo)

6. CollinFeigle thread starter macrumors newbie

I was pretty sure that was the same Combo I tried to install earlier today, but I tried again just to be sure. And yet again, I got the message that "Mac OS X Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just to make sure, are you really sure you have 10.7 on your System?

You can see the version when clicking on the Apple Menu>About This Mac.

8. CollinFeigle thread starter macrumors newbie

Positive.

I am running Disk Utility to verify disk permissions, tons of differences in System/Library/Preferences/Displays.prefPane. Will update after repairing permissions.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, Ok, that might also solve the problem without reapplying the update.

10. CollinFeigle thread starter macrumors newbie

Permissions are strangely irreparable. It will say they are repaired, then I verified again only to find the same set of differences. Apparently, this was a problem for some people when 10.7.5 was first released, most recommend a clean install. I think it might be time to update to Mountain Lion.

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That might also be a good idea.:)

ML is better than Lion.

12. CollinFeigle thread starter macrumors newbie