sudden VERY poor reception

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by retrovm, Sep 5, 2010.

1. retrovm macrumors newbie

retrovm

16gb iPhone 4 here, haven't had any antenna issues or proximity sensor issues or any of that. but all of a sudden, within the past few days, my service in my house has gone to hell-- i'm constantly switching between 3G and edge. i haven't had fantastic service at home before but it's never been this abysmal. anyone else experiencing this? it's killing my battery.

i'm in north NJ for clarification.

2. kiantech macrumors regular

Pop your collar and you'll get better reception.

But really: download the "mark the spot" AT&T app add your zip to interested area and look under news to see what's going on. Also submit a problem. They actually listen! I was surprised when I complained about my area and then got a text many months later saying they added more sites and not I get amazing signal. So try that.

3. xriderx11 macrumors regular

I'm sorry but i don't know! But i recommend for you to turn your phone on airplane mode for now so it doesn't kill the battery... But before you do that on your voice mail make the answering machine on your iphone mention "try calling the house". So people will call your house when your home.... Hope i helped!

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I think this may be an AT&T thing. I have been getting horrible reception the last few days too. If I restart my iPhone, this usually will regain the reception again.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Call AT&T. Cell towers' performance can come and go. Maybe they are performing maintenance on it. Also, if you can reproduce with another phone the incident is handled differently. To generalize, one phone is your problem and two phones is theirs.

6. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

i was in brooklyn yesterday trying to get someplace with the maps app. at some point 3g decided not to work anymore. full bars but was getting messages that data could not load. ended up getting lost because of it. i was ready to toss the phone out the window it was so frustrating.

7. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I presume your iPhone came with 4.0.1, in which case, your signal strength could display differently? Just a thought!

8. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Perhaps my experience can shed some light on this problem. Most of the time, I get a weak to moderate signal but still get a reliable connection in the university town where I live. Nevertheless, I have encountered an important exception. Around 5:00 PM each weekday, when many folks are leaving work, I frequently cannot get a cell connection. This seems to last for about half an hour and does not seem to occur on weekend days. I have presumed that this is because so many people in the area are using cell service at this peak time, overwhelming the cell service, although this is just my hunch. In spite of the difficulty getting a cell connection in this location around 5:00 PM, the signal strength seems to remain the same as usual (weak to moderate).

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Must only be affecting people in certain aeas, because my 3G service with AT&T has never been better. :)

10. kiantech macrumors regular

Worst comes to worse you can try and get the AT&T femtocell.