Suddenly getting Pop Up windows on IMDB with Firefox. No change to settings.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by barkmonster, Mar 24, 2009.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I get one full window ad in front of the current window and another one hiding behind it. The forums are also interspersed with Google Ads for

Hannah Montana Soundtrack

and

Jordan Pics

I'm 31 and think Jordan is a skank with fake b**bs and a retarded husband. It used to be advertising products to get rid of bad breath until recently too, just to be even more insulting :D

How can I stop this happening?

I used to use Karma blocker but it had kind of sledgehammer approach to it and regularly messed up the way sites display style sheets and stuff like like that.

Attached Files:

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

A lot of advertising companies have found ways in Web 2.0 to get around pop-up blockers. It's best to look for a specific add-on or separate application to handle it.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

IMDB is even getting around Safari's popup blocker, something it never did before, and it is really annoying considering how I have mine setup, because it opens the ad in a new window.

TEG

4. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I bet someone could either write an AppleScript or a Unix script to handle this.

An idea would be to have a daemon running and whenever Safari opens a new window (with or without your permission) it will ask you. From there you could let it open or close it immediately.

But, to be honest, I think there is something out there that already does this.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Cancel or Allow. ;)

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm having the same issue sometimes. It's very annoying. I'm still trying to figure it out also.

7. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Thanks! I was in a rush at lunch and I couldn't find the right phrase to use. Curse me being so busy and not very articulate.

8. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Aren't a lot of these ads Flash based? If you are running Firefox with AdBlockPlus, then when the offending item appears, just type shift + CMD + K and then select the offending element to be blocked. You can also access this through the ctrl-clicking on the adblock stop sign located in the lower-right border of the Firefox window.