iPad mini Suddenly, I have a dead Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Internaut, May 26, 2013.

1. Internaut macrumors 6502a

I have an unresponsive Mini this morning. I guess it *could* have run out of power overnight (I'd run it down quite low, watching video, and forgot to plug it back in). I've plugged the lightening cable in but still no response. Any ideas?

2. Internaut, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very strange...... I'm not sure if it was anything I did but after being on the charger for twenty minutes or so, I pressed the power button and home button together for about ten seconds and suddenly the Apple logo appeared. This was followed by a battery, indicating it is 23 percent charge and then the unlock slider appeared.

Edit: At this stage, the battery is probably charging at 1% per minute so I suppose it's consistent with my initial thoughts about it having simply ran out of juice.

3. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

I think its a setting in some devices where if.the.juice runs out. then u have to charge to a minimun percentage before u can power it on. used to happen to my huwaei ideos pro. the first time it happened I also thought my phone was dead

4. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's always been the case with previous Apple devices I've owned. I just couldn't remember what the exact experience was. I was convinced I should at least see an Apple logo on the screen.

5. pommie82 macrumors 6502

i would leave it on charge for about 15 mins or so if it doesn't come on then i thought there would be a problem with the mini.In the past when i have ran my mini flat its always come back to life after about 15 mins of been connected to a power source and the apple logo would appear

i should of thought if you took it too apple if you had problems with it then would give you a new one free because it is under 12 months old and you have rights that you can have a new one free because it not your fault that it is faulty

hope you get it sorted out keep us posted about it would like to hear the outcome of what has happened with the device

6. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

op has already mentioned its now fine after charging for 20 mins

I'm curious as to why it is.set in such a way to have a.minimum charge before u can power it on. my cheap chinese android immediately powers on after.connecting the charger.

does this kind.of delayed.powering on help in prolonging life of batttery ?

7. DMH3006 macrumors regular

Its so it has enough power to boot up in case you disconnect from the charger.

8. pommie82 macrumors 6502

i wouldn't do it too often because you could end up damaging the device in the end and you might not be able to get it to boot up again just when the mini gets down to about 1% stick it up on charge and don't let it go completely flat for some reason apple devices don't like to completely have no power at all for example when the mini is charging it is always on it never charges when its turned and that goes for all apple devices and just the way they are built and design.I have read in the past about several places in the past that people i have been to apple retainers and they have had to pay for a new device depending the apple genius that gets to sort out there device for them

just be careful

Hope that helps you out

pommie

9. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

All seems good now. It charged to 100% and I've switched it off and back on a couple of times. I'm guessing it really did run out of juice overnight. Perhaps not surprising as I did watch of couple of hours of iPlayer content before I went to bed (and the battery was already around 30% went I started).

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That's standard behavior. And yes it's likely cause you ran it down overnight

----------

Nope. Let it go all the way out to turning itself off. There's a trickle charge that isn't in that measure that will keep it going fine for a couple of hours so you can and should let it shut off and then get it plugged in within the first 5-10 minutes after that.