Suddenly, I have Mail problems

blip78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Chicago, IL
Suddenly, after a long time using Mail, i cannot send any emails out. I can receive them, but I cannot send them. Is there something I should check, that I already haven't?

blip78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Chicago, IL
Mail Problem stats

So when I click send, the ticker at the top of the Viewer window just reads, Connecting to server "smtp.ryanrobinson.com". for about 45 seconds and then disappears. Nothing has been sent.

That's all that happens. No warnings, not a clue as to why it does not send.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
And no lightning bolts or question marks next to the inboxes in the drawer?

Are you the ryanrobinson.com? That is, are you using an SMTP server that you're running off a linux box or summin' somewhere in your house?

blip78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Chicago, IL
No signals, no warnings. Nothing. I can receive emails. Can't send.

Nope, I have an external host. Is that what you're asking?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
blip78 said:
No signals, no warnings. Nothing. I can receive emails. Can't send.

Nope, I have an external host. Is that what you're asking?
Hmmm... Try opening the activity window (I think it's command-zero, or from the menus) and watch what happens in there when you try to send a msg.

Or it could be an issue with the SMTP settings changing, as Applespider suggested. Although usually you should get an error message window for that.

Otherwise it's also possible this is a corrupt preferences file or permissions kind of issue. In which case... you would try repairing permissions (from Disk Utility in the utilities folder) and/or trashing the preferences files (I am not at my iBook, but they should have mail in the name, and they are located in the Library folder that is in your home directory -- what you ought to do is quit Mail, create an archive of all of the files, which have endings like plist and have mail in the name I think, and then delete the originals, and restart mail).