Suddenly iMovie03 capturing on my iMac doesn't work anymore

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cox Orange, May 19, 2014.

1. Cox Orange, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hi,

I do use iMovie5+6 under 10.4 and 10.5 mostly, but from time to time I get back to my iMac G3 DV and iMovie3 under 10.2 and capture there, for certain reasons.

It has worked before, but now, all of a sudden, I can't write movies to an external drive, anymore, while they are captured. It works to capture to the internal drive but not external.

I repaired permissions.

Any other ideas, please???

2. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

What sort of external drive are you using? FireWire or USB?

Can you write to the internal disk fine from iMovie?

Can you write to the external disk from another Mac?

You said "iMac G4 DV" - Did you mean 'iMac G3 DV?"

3. Cox Orange, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, of course G3. My finger just didn't hit the "3" properly and I did not "spell"-check.

I can write to the internal in the iMac G3 and I can write to the external with other Macs. I use the USB connection. This has worked before with the exact same drive. Even, when the drive was already 2/3 full.
    I did empty the drive except 10% again, because I thought maybe that does solve the problem, but it didn't.

Hm, just now, tested Firewire for the external drive and that works. I wonder though, why this is, because USB worked before (even if it is USB1 with a USB2 drive on it).
    I am a bit unconfident with this now, even if FW works now. I fear it will skip frames. Unfortunately there isn't "activity monitor" for 10.2, so that I could at least check, if the transfer rate is ok.

Do you know, if iMovie3 workss under 10.4, then I might just copy it to a more powerful Mac.
    ---> I tested. OK. Version 3 runs under 10.4, too.

4. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

How much RAM is in your G3?

If I remember right, 10.4 runs better on those machines than 10.2 ever did! You could do an upgrade if you felt like it! :)

5. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

maxed out to 1GB.

I only used it (other than classic gaming) for this, because of iMovie-3. Now that I discovered, I can just copy iMovie3 to my more powerful 10.4 Macs (that save electricity) I do not have the need to. :)