Suddenly my AW2 is in Airport Mode??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Luba, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Luba, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Out of no where I look at my AW2 and it's in Airport Mode?!? I don't know if the iPhone or the AW is responsible because if Airport is activated on one, it's activated on the other. I look at my iPhone and I see that Bluetooth is off?!? I turn Bluetooth back on and shut off Airport on iPhone, but Airport Mode is still on AW?!? I would think shutting off Airport Mode on iPhone should also turn it off on AW since they're linked. I shut off AW to restart it, but it still can't connect to iPhone since it's still in Airport Mode. I manually go into AW Settings and turn Airport Mode off … they connect, but watch face complications aren't updating with info, but if I tap on a watch face complication it does work. So issues with watchOS 3?? The Bluetooth connection with iPhone and car works but not without issues. Music drops out, then comes back a minute later. So issues with iOS 10?? Or maybe it's a hardware issue??

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

If you turn airplane mode on on your phone then it will communicate with the watch and turn airplane mode on on the watch as well. However once the watch is in airplane mode then it can no longer communicate with the phone because airplane mode shuts off all external communication. Therefore there is no way for the watch to know when you turn airplane off on your phone. You will need to manually turn airplane mode off on both devices individually.

3. Luba, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Ok, that makes sense. But I didn't turn on Airport Mode on in iPhone. And I don't there's any way I could have done that by accident since you have to go into Settings > Airport Mode. No way that could have happened in my pocket.

Also, the Bluetooth switch was turn to "off" seemingly by itself. If I go into Settings and turn on Airport Mode, it leaves the Bluetooth setting alone. When the freaky event occurred Bluetooth on iPhone was turned off.

Do you think this is a software issue or hardware?

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Airplane mode must have been turned on accidentally somehow. You can also turn it on by swiping up from the bottom of the screen on the phone or the watch and selecting the airplane icon on the control panel. Once it's turned on on one device will turn on on the other device. It will also turn off Bluetooth (and wifi).

5. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

So highly unlikely there's a bug so bad it would "randomly" turn on Airport Mode?

What was weird was that the Bluetooth switch was turned off?!? After resetting both iPhone & AW by turning them off and on, I turned on Airport Mode which of course shut off Bluetooth, but it left the Bluetooth switch to "on". Airport Mode shuts down Bluetooth, but leaves Bluetooth switch on. Somehow during the freaky event Airport Mode got turned on & Bluetooth was switched off!?!

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's possible that something accidentally swiped it up and hit airplane mode. I've caught my AW with the control center swiped up by accident, but it didn't go any further than that.