Suddenly: no incoming SMS sound notification!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ryefield, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ryefield macrumors newbie

this is bloody weird! I did SSH my iphone using DISKAID, and in DISKAID there's this random glitch where sometimes when you're renaming a file it will name the whole folder the new name, and it happened to me with the MobileSMS.app folder, but i changed it back and didn't notice any problem. about an hour later i get a text (sound works), and while typing my reply the SMS app froze (if it's any clue it was during the magnifying glass thingy was on). I went in and out of the app using home button (multitasking enabled) but it wouldn't unfreeze so i rebooted the phone and it came back normal. but since then- no incoming SMS sound!

What's even weirder than that is the fact that even if i'm going to SETTINGS\SOUNDS\NEW TEXT MESSAGE and tap the different ringtones I don't get any sound!

Oh - another clue:

During my browsing through the phone's file system I did find another "ringtones" folder somewhere and deleted them all except for two - but as far as I know the call ringtones and the SMS ringtones are never in the same folder.. still, could I have deleted the SMS ringtone files? that would make pefect sense but.. is it even possible? or could it be something I accidently changed in the MobileSMS.app folder?

thanks for you help guys, I love thing iPhone and it is heavily hand-modified I wouldn't wanna reinstall the whole system just for that!

2. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Have you gone into settings.app and reset all settings?

3. ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

Doing it as we speak. will let you know if it changed anything

OH and I also forgot to mention the phone is Iphone 3G 4.0 Jailbroken and unlocked

cheers.

4. ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

restoring setting did not work

not only that, it bricked my phone to death. but a second before I put it back in recovery mode (which would mean a nightmare for me) it suddenly came back to life. all is working, but the SMS sound, just like before.

any other suggestions guys???

5. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

I do not hear any sound when SSHing into my phone as well, which is normal due to the iPhone SFX's alternate "CAF" extension (even though they are just AIFF files).
    But the lack of sound on the handset itself is odd. Really, it is likely a software malfunction. I'd recommend restoring to 4.0.1, jailbreaking at jailbreakme.com, then plugging back in and setting up as a new phone NOT A BACKUP