Suddenly "Preview" won't open anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by illjazz, Oct 28, 2009.

1. illjazz macrumors regular

I have no idea what happened. Overnight, Preview completely stopped working. When I double click a PDF, it'll bounce around a while in the dock and then the icon will stay there, though without the dot below it indicating that it should be running. When I right-click the icon, it says "Application Not Responding" and gives me the option to force quit it. I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.1.

I tried deleting the com.apple.preview... file in username/library/preferences and restarting Preview, but that did nothing.

Anyone have a clue what went wrong here?

2. illjazz thread starter macrumors regular

Correction.. I just discovered that this only happens with one or two PDFs I grabbed off my university server. I even downloaded Adobe Reader and it exhibits the exact same behavior as Preview except with its icon missing completely from the dock. The funny thing is.. I can read these PDFs perfectly fine with QUICKLOOK! Inconvenient but it works. I have no idea what's wrong with these PDFs..

If you're curious, you can grab the file from my Dropbox public link here and try it out for yourself: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/250734/Präsentation_Tutorium1_FuM.pdf

It's basically a Powerpoint presentation on academic research. Nothing fancy.