Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efplaya85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
I can normally connect to my windows share using samba by doing Command-K and giving it ip/nameoffolder type scheme. For some reason after a few days, this stops working and it just displays the progress bar the whole time with no messages in the console window. I can ping the windows share just fine. Is there any particular reason as to why smb cannot connect working until i restart snow leopard? Does any one have advice they could give me? Thanks!

I have a Macbook pro 13" snow leopard.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup, Apple definitely broke something in 10.6 with SMB support. Used to be near flawless under the later 10.5 updates for simple access to Windows shares, but from the beginning with 10.6, it's been extremely buggy.

Fair number of threads on Apple Discussions and around the Net.

Can't wait until they address this previously non-problem.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
They apparently broke something under 10.5.8 with the October 22nd Security Update as well because I can no longer connect to my Windows machine since then on my PowerMac and vice versa. Even XBMC on my Apple TV will not connect unless I use the ZeroConf option. It also started asking me if I would allow NMBD when I reboot every time without exception and resetting the sharing settings does nothing to resolve the situation. I cannot believe I'm having so much trouble finding references to this problem online even. Either hardly anyone uses SMB or the problem is not universal. I suspect the latter as my Intel MBP running the same version of Leopard shows my PC just fine. I'm considering restoring my Leopard install from backup. This is absolutely ridiculous as I cannot share any files any longer through SMB on my PowerMac. I actually have to route the files through the MBP (via AFP) to get them from the PC to the PowerMac and vice versa. My MBP and my two printers both show up in Shared on the PowerMac, but the PC is missing and it cannot see the PowerMac from its side either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.