Suddenly Unable to Copy to/from External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Reuby, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Reuby macrumors newbie

I've had a Seagate 1TB external hdd for a number of years (unfortunately it's the only place with all my data) and it has always worked until a few days ago. Now whenever I try and copy anything from the hard drive, finder will freeze after a few mb have been copied and won't go any further.

I'm using a Macbook Pro Retina and I've installed all the latest updates.

I can still see all the files on the external hdd, I just can't get them off of the hard drive anymore. Can anyone help?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sounds as if the external's hard drive is failing. Run a disk repair serve like DiskWarrior.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Have you tried using Disk Utility to verify/repair the disk?

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I would go into this. I have run into a few issues with Hard drives as well, and this fixed it.

5. Reuby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried verifying in Disk Utility and it came back with no problems, however I hadn't repaired the disk fully as it was taking so long so I'll give that another go.

----------

How likely is DiskWarrior to work? It would be a shame to fork out the money and nothing come of it.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That's a tough call my friend. If you have the only copy of your child's baby photos on there, I guess any price is worth a shot. But I know I would not spend $100 to maybe rescue a $60 drive. Just no way to tell without trying.

7. Reuby thread starter macrumors newbie

So after using DiskWarrior I can still transfer small files between my mac and external hdd but I can't copy any large files (above 2GB), it starts off fine and then stops halfway through as some of it is unable to be read or written.

Probably a stupid question but is there any way to disassemble the external hdd and insert the disk into a cd drive and copy the files from there?

8. Reuby thread starter macrumors newbie

Would removing the drive from the casing and placing it in a dock be worthwhile?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is sure worth a try. Thing is sometimes those packaged external drives use a proprietary connector and won't work with an off the shelf enclosure or sled. No way to tell without trying it.

10. sam6dogs macrumors newbie

I have done this with 2 WD external drives with good success. Search Seagate's site or the web to find out what type of drive is in the enclosure, mine were both SATA.