Suddenly Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PTVMan, Dec 13, 2013.

1. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I asked AT&T to unlock my iPhone 5S last week and was told no because the phone was still under contract. Just now I connected with iTunes on my MacBook Air, did a restore and got the message "Congratulations, your phone has been unlocked." How can I now check to confirm that the phone is truly now unlocked? Will the Verizon SIM from my iPad work as a test in the iPhone?

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

put in a different sim?

3. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just tried the Verizon SIM from my iPad Air, but it didn't work - maybe because it's data only?

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

http://iphoneimei.info/

5. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fascinating - that site says it's unlocked. Looks like I lucked out somehow. I would love to test with a different SIM. Are there prepaid SIMS available?

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

7. akron0488 macrumors member

If you got the message and if iphoneimei says you're unlocked, then you're definitely unlocked. No need to check it.

8. dajiushen macrumors newbie

Hi ,how did you ask AT&T to do that ?

9. holycowe macrumors member

Did you buy your iPhone full price or upgrade? Your iPhone could come unlocked in the beginnin

10. I7guy macrumors G5

I bought my verizon 5s, checked the above website that reported it was unlocked. I was surprised.

11. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I used their online unlock site, was denied there, and then did an online chat with a rep who also said I could not get my phone unlocked. I'm certain it was locked when I bought it on day one, but somehow through my requests/conversations with AT&T the phone is 'magically' unlocked.

The unlock request site for AT&T is here:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition

12. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Nothing surprising about that as Verizon iPhone 5/5S comes factory unlocked for GSM networks

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Go to ....../Setting/General/About

Scroll down to CARRIER

If it says " AT&T 14.2 " it is probably still locked.

If it says "AT&T 15.5 " it is most likely unlocked.

When I unlocked an iPhone 4 it went from 14.2 to 15.5

Have not tried the " other sim card " test yet.

14. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Did you think it could have been a possibility that AT&T updated their carrier files? *shrug*

15. harcosparky, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

harcosparky macrumors 68020

If I had not gotten the " Congratulations Your iPhone Is Now Unlocked " message when I did the Restore I might have thought that.

Not to mention the AT&T Tech Support person who was on the other phone helping me with the unlock of this phone.

This phone was a new replacement from Apple and getting it unlocked was not as easy as one that came from an AT&T store. So I had to call AT&T and they had to call Apple because according to them Apple had not transferred the phone to AT&T yet.

I have another iPhone 4 yet to be unlocked and it is going to require the same process. I got a text from AT&T saying they would be calling me on Monday to go through the process with the second phone. That IMEI site says the second phone, like the first one is Carrier: Unassigned Factory <--- this is why AT&T cannot unlock the phone even though it is over a year out of contract.

The downside to the process was you have to Restore the iPhone to unlock it and at the same time you are forced to upgrade IOS to version 7.

I have three more iPhones to get unlocked, so I can sell them off and move on to something new.

I'm just glad to be out from under the contract, so I can shop other carriers for a better deal.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Verizon iPhones that support LTE have to be factory unlocked from the beginning due to a regulation that was part of an agreement that was in place for some spectrum purchases that Verizon did. Not surprising that they would in fact be unlocked.

17. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap you got that right! Samething with Tmobile iPhones.

18. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

AT&T 15.5 here. Went to the website out of curiosity and no, my 5S is not unlocked. Doesn't really matter to me (yet), but it would've been nice.

19. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Yeah I check all five of my iPhones ....
    2 of them are unlocked
    3 of them still locked

Contracts up on all of them a over a year ago.

We were waiting to see if Apple would bring out a phone with a workable screen size and they haven't.

Back when we got the iPhone 4's the screen size was adequate .... but now three years later we need bigger.

Once all are unlocked they will be put on Ebay and we will be on new phones by then.

20. NeroAZ macrumors regular

That is curious. my iPhone 5s also says its carrier and sim unlocked.

I did pay $550 for it since i wasn't eligible for an upgrade from the 5 i had, but it was still slightly subsidized.

----------

good to know, mine says AT&T 15.5

21. cristianu, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

cristianu macrumors newbie

skype id: star_umair_2005

he unlocked my iphone 4. reliable. I recommend ...

22. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

seems legit, funny how this is your only post. :confused:

23. twrunner macrumors newbie

24. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

oh you too? you have 3 posts and they are all to unlock a phone from that site. :eek: