Suddenly, Word won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SheDevilBiker, Oct 5, 2008.

1. SheDevilBiker macrumors newbie

This is a problem, because i made sure to have the whole Office suite for work documents. I had study notes for an exam in here that I cannot open anymore, and I was going to transfer other documents from my PC before I get rid of it.

I opened my applications, and it shows that Word was last modified a few days ago, and under Ownership & Permissions in more info it says I can Read Only. Would this be something I did? If so, how do I fix it?

I'm a complete MacRookie, so, be gentle...

2. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

Are you trying to open a word document and it says you do not have permission or are you trying to open the Word application in your application folder or dock?

I think you can try to do the following.

Chose "get info" and go down to "Sharing & Permissions." You will need to make sure that the account you long into has read and write permission. To change this you may need to highlight the little lock at the bottom of the window and enter in the administrator name and password. Once done, highlight your account name and switch it to "Read & Write."

3. SheDevilBiker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I tried that again, and still can't open. I was trying to open both the program and a doc on my desktop, and they just would not open. I wanted a laptop to work anywhere, and yet, not only am I having battery problems, never mind what I appear to have done to my Toast, but now my damn Word! I ended up doing a document in Entourage because I had no idea where else to create it, since Word wouldn't open (I had forgotten about iWork)

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

If I understand you, the problem is you've got documents in Word with notes you need to access, but Word won't open.

As an emergency measure, one way to get at your notes is to navigate to the documents you need, right-click, and choose "Open with". Choose Open Office, Text Edit, or some other word processing program, and you should at least be able to get to your content. If you've got any fancy formatting, it might not show correctly, but you will at least be able to get to your notes.

This doesn't solve your problem with Word, but it at least lets you circumvent it so that you can get to your stuff. :eek:

5. SheDevilBiker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Text Edit just gave me a lot of mess, but Pages worked a dream. I have resigned myself for not to not using Word, but it's a real pain...

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you're having several different issues with your Mac. You might want to make an appointment with a Genius at your friendly local Apple Store to see if they can help you out. If you're not close to an Apple Store, another great source for in-person help is to attend a local [url="http://www.apple.com/usergroups/]Mac User Group[/url] meeting. Every MUG meeting that I've ever been to, regardless of where it was located, has some time set aside in their meeting to allow members to ask questions and get help from other members.

I'm not sure which version of Word you have, but don't forget that there's also tech support. If you have purchased a legal retail version of either Office 2004 or Office 2008, you get two free calls to tech support. Information for contacting tech support is in the box.

Regards,
    Nadyne.