Suddent constant fan noise, 60% CPU use in safe mode with nothing open. Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Sandino, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Sandino macrumors newbie

Hi, I hope this is in the right place, I'm new here but I'm in a bit of a panic because I depend on my Macbook for work and I need help figuring out why it's doing this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a MacBook Air, purchased in June of 2013, running OSX 10.9.4. It's a 1.3 GHz model with Intel Core i5 and 4 GB, 1600 MHz DDR3 memory.

This morning I woke up and it was shut down. As soon as I started it up, the fan began to run, much louder than normal. It was immediately after start-up, and I've replicated that condition, so it doesn't seem to be related to over-heating.

I saw that a rogue process might be responsible in forum posts, so I checked Activity Monitor. Right now the only application open is Chrome. It's not showing any process using more than Chrome at around 12%, but the "system" is shown as using around 75% of my CPU.

I tried rebooting in safe mode, and with no programs open in safe mode "system" is using 60% CPU.

I couldn't afford the extended warranty, so I'm several months out of warranty and can't really afford to pay for repairs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Might be worth taking a shot of your activity monitor by cpu usage highest usage processes at top.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Make sure Activity Monitor is showing all processes and not just your processes.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I agree. Back it up before re-installing it but leave Chrome out of the picture. That app has too many holes in it.

7. Sandino thread starter macrumors newbie

Screenshot

Thanks, that was a good tip. I switched Activity Monitor to "All processes and discovered kernel_task eating almost 300% of CPU.

[​IMG]

So what can I do about this?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Backup your data, reinstall Mac OS X after wiping the disc, ditch Chrome, test for high loads, then restore your data. In that order.

9. Sandino thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Intell, I appreciate it. Any good resources for reinstalling and wiping the disc? I haven't done either before, so I'm going to go google but if you have anything handy I'd appreciate it. Thanks again very much for your help. :)

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Restart while holding Command-R to boot into Recovery then use Disk Utility to wipe the drive and then reinstall Mac OS X. Note: Make sure you backup everything you want to save first, once you erase the drive it cannot be recovered.