• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Hello,

I'm hoping someone else has gone through this problem and found what the problem is.

I have a Macbook pro 17" with NVIDIA 330M and 8GB of RAM, running 10.8.2 since its release.

For the past 2 days, ANY game I play (official Steam releases of L4D 1 or 2, Call of Duty Black oPS, Non steam Aspyr's COD 4 ), start off nice and smooth, but begin cutting down to very low fps after maybe 10 or 15 mins to the point where it's unplayable. I have been playing L4D for over a year on this system without a hitch before.

I usually restart the system and relaunch the game. It works fine for the same length of time and slows to a crawl again.

My automatic graphic card switching is off (I just doubled check). If I don't restart the computer, even if I relaunch the game the problem is still there. I checked with Activity monitor and besides the main game which takes like 60 to 85% of CPU there's nothing else that takes any real resources.

The problem started appearing on the same day I downloaded both the Mac Gamestore .app and Call of Duty Black ops. I don't see how that could have done anything, but I can't see anything else that might have caused this either.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Where are you playing?
Do you have an external monitor?

If the FPS drop, try to wait a few minutes until the machine cooled down again (no restart) and then check again...

Comment

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I've tried with all the games i mentioned, its actually occurring in any games.

I just tested it on l4d 1 and Call of Duty Black ops. No ext monitor attached.

The macbook isn't hot at all, the fan doesn't spin like crazy either. Its just regular warm.

The problem started 2 or 3 days ago and seem to only affect games, not other heavy duty programs like Photoshop or final cut pro.

Comment

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
1) Reset PRAM & do a SMC reset.

2) Secondly repair disk permissions.

Comment

dogboy122

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
r'lyeh
I had this problem really bad, I'm talking every game unplayable bad, the fan wasn't spinning abnormally fast, and the computer wasn't very hot. I reset SMC,PRAM and disk permissions, nothing helped, I got fed up and opened the macbook and cleaned all the dust out with compressed air and swabs. and the macbook which has a 256mb video card, was running smooth without the framerate slowing down over time at all, it was like I doubled the VRAM, just saying you never know I would clean it if I were you. hoped I helped. http://www.powerbookmedic.com/ <-- site that helped me safely perform open heart surgery on my macbook.:apple:

Comment

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hello,

I'm hoping someone else has gone through this problem and found what the problem is.

I have a Macbook pro 17" with NVIDIA 330M and 8GB of RAM, running 10.8.2 since its release.

For the past 2 days, ANY game I play (official Steam releases of L4D 1 or 2, Call of Duty Black oPS, Non steam Aspyr's COD 4 ), start off nice and smooth, but begin cutting down to very low fps after maybe 10 or 15 mins to the point where it's unplayable. I have been playing L4D for over a year on this system without a hitch before.

I usually restart the system and relaunch the game. It works fine for the same length of time and slows to a crawl again.

My automatic graphic card switching is off (I just doubled check). If I don't restart the computer, even if I relaunch the game the problem is still there. I checked with Activity monitor and besides the main game which takes like 60 to 85% of CPU there's nothing else that takes any real resources.

The problem started appearing on the same day I downloaded both the Mac Gamestore .app and Call of Duty Black ops. I don't see how that could have done anything, but I can't see anything else that might have caused this either.

Sounds like a classic overheating issue, although I know the 10.8.2 update has loads of side effects on some cards.

Edwin

Comment

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Ok all, makes sense, I'll try opening silver boy and cleaning the dust out. Also the SMC , PRAM & disk permissions, which never hurt.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.