"sudo su" can't enter password iWork '09 trogan

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom Foolery, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

I downloaded iwork '09. I entered the command 'sudo su' is terminal and when prompted for my password I can't type in anything. all i can do is press enter. does anyone else have this problem and a way to fix it.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

too bad, don't think we can help too much. Laugh yes, help no.

3. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Can't say I've got much sympathy. Try booting OSX from disc or restoring from time machine.

4. jive turkey macrumors 6502

Ugh, I probably shouldn't be helping, but. . . When you type your password in Terminal, you don't see any evidence that you are typing. The cursor will not move until you hit enter. So just type the password and hit enter, then you'll see that it worked.

5. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

So you downloaded a pirated copy of iWork '09 and now have the trojan? Serves you right for downloading pirated software.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

When you type your password in the terminal, nothing happens. You don't see any stars or anything. Just type it in and press return.

8. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I feel compelled to point out that sympathy is not oozing from my pores...

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You'll need to give more details than that.

Why do you need to use sudo?

When typing your password to authorise sudo in the terminal, the password won't show up on scree, you just have to type it and press return.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It was explained in the trojan distributed with the iWork '09 torrent thread, the sudo command was part of the fix to remove the trojan from the pirated software.

Shouldn't be an issue since they may have released a app to remove the trojan from the pirated software.

11. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I'm confused?

Why would you do "sudo su"?

Why not just "su" or "sudo command".

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

So you can do 5 lines of monkey script for the worm removal.

13. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Thank you.

14. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Stringing sudo & su together could only do nothing if you run a secure rig (e.g., your daily use account is a regular account, not a sudoer & leave the root account disabled). Especially with the influx of Windows switchers I bet there is a growing user base of people who work daily with Admin privs.

15. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Running as Admin in OS X isn't anywhere close to as risky as some people make it out to be. Almost all of it's power comes from the fact that Admins are sudoers. Other than that...what.....modify Applications? OOOH! There's nothing special about that directory, it's just there for convenience. Auto-lock your System Preferences panes, and you'll be fine. I tried the "run as normal" thing for a day, and found it to be pretty useless. Oh boy, it no longer auto-fills my user name in. SNAP! The whole point of Admins is that you CAN use them as daily account. Just don't run around as root, that is something else entirely...

16. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

You make good points but I am not convinced. Just in having a 2 minute peek, I can see, for instance, that Admin can modify: /Library/Updates/index.plist

Couldn't that be misused to run other code with root privs during the next boot?

I have not dug deeper to see how that works but I see that Admins have write privs to a lot of stuff under /Library and various other folders.

Also by running as a regular user, to gain root privs to your system someone would have to compromise not only yours but a sudoers password. If you can get a sudoers password, you pretty much have control of everything, which is not true for a regular user.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From http://kb.iu.edu/data/amyi.html