Sudoku

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This week Sudoku came to the Los Angeles Times, so of course I'm now addicted. They have only published 3 games so far. I do them at breakfast instead of reading the rest of the newspaper, so if Canada invades the U.S. or
Pixar buys Microsoft or Michael Jackson opens a day care center I might not hear about it, but at least my brain will get extra exercise.

In the three L.A. Times puzzles so far, logic has dictated each step toward the solution, so no trial-and-error or guess-and-backtrack was necessary. They will supposedly get harder as the week progresses.

The L.A. Times introductory announcement: link

Applespider

macrumors G4
Doctor Q said:
In the three L.A. Times puzzles so far, logic has dictated each step toward the solution, so no trial-and-error or guess-and-backtrack was necessary. They will supposedly get harder as the week progresses.
A properly created Su Doku should never require guesswork. They are all supposed to come via logic... and there should only be one correct solution. Apparently, the fiendish ones (try the Times (London)) just mean that there's only one logical path through the puzzle rather than several.

I got hooked on them while I was on jury service. For Tiger users, there's a good Su Doku widget. The only trouble with it is that unlike the paper ones, you can't make little notes to yourself which is still the only way I can get some of the Times fiendish ones out.

edit - The Times current variation to make things harder is to interlink 5 Su Doku grids on a Saturday (only in the printed version). Ouch it hurts the brain...

Nutter

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
London, England
Applespider said:
A properly created Su Doku should never require guesswork. They are all supposed to come via logic... and there should only be one correct solution. Apparently, the fiendish ones (try the Times (London)) just mean that there's only one logical path through the puzzle rather than several.

I got hooked on them while I was on jury service. For Tiger users, there's a good Su Doku widget. The only trouble with it is that unlike the paper ones, you can't make little notes to yourself which is still the only way I can get some of the Times fiendish ones out.

edit - The Times current variation to make things harder is to interlink 5 Su Doku grids on a Saturday (only in the printed version). Ouch it hurts the brain...
At the risk of starting argument... if a puzzle can be solved by logic alone, then by definition there is only one solution.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Sudoku puzzles have been in the local Metro since about Feb/Mar when they changed the format. Lately they have been appearing in the Toronto Star, and I think the Globe and Mail also has them. When I first started them I was having trouble completing them in under 25 minutes, now that I have my method down I can get them done in under 10 mins. It's great for a stress break if you need to take your mind off of something.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I like the way they rate the difficulty levels, at least in the Los Angeles Times. They use words like "gentle", "moderate", and "diabolical".

Applespider

macrumors G4
Doctor Q said:
I like the way they rate the difficulty levels, at least in the Los Angeles Times. They use words like "gentle", "moderate", and "diabolical".
The Times uses Fiendish for the tough ones although they're saying that the really fiendish ones will be saved for Bank Holidays when everyone has more time to do them! :eek:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Doctor Q said:
I've tried several of the these puzzles in the LA Times. Oddly enough, the first one I solved was rated "diabolical," then I had a tough time with one rated "moderate." I suppose they just take practice (which is what makes them so addicting).

amy8

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2005
Seeking Sudoku Enthusiasts

I'm writing a magazine story about Sudoku enthusiasts around the world. Would anyone on this forum be interested in being part of the story? Please email me if so.

Thanks!

Amy