Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmIDEADYet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
As an iPod Touch 4G user, I've never really noticed how much text benefited from the Retina Display, especially at smaller sizes, i look at a friend's iPod Touch 2G today.
It was much more fuzzy, and I found myself having to increase the size of the text to make it easier to read.

Here's are my questions to iPad users:
Is this problem present on the iPad?
Is it worth waiting for a resolution bump to buy as I do not immediately need one?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Only you can answer either of these questions. Seriously -- go check out an iPad and decide for yourself if you want to wait however long for an iPad that has comparable screen DPI to an iPhone 4.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It's certainly noticeable. Like someone said, check one out and see for yourself. Like I've noted on other threads, the dpi is higher than on MacBooks, and that doesn't seem to bother people.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Only you can answer either of these questions. Seriously -- go check out an iPad and decide for yourself if you want to wait however long for an iPad that has comparable screen DPI to an iPhone 4.

Yep. Best Buy and Apple stores have demo units you can try out and see if it meets your needs. Since your question relates to something very subjective, you'd do best to go see it for yourself.

One important thing to remember: most people tend not to hold their ipad as close as they might hold an iphone or ipod touch. Accordingly, despite the lower physical dpi, the appearance isn't going to be as grainy as you might fear.

As an iphone4 owner, yes I can tell that the text isn't as crisp on the ipad as on the iphone4, but functionally it hasn't been a problem for me.

BobbieM629

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Midwest
I have an iPhone 4 and I would say that it is comparable. We also have a 3G touch and I can tell a large difference. However, I would go to the store and check them out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.