SugarSync vs Dropbox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fa.ce, Nov 8, 2008.

1. fa.ce macrumors 6502

I want to abandone iDisk, for its poor capabilities and features.
    I'm looking for the best alternative ...
    I'm testing Dropbox and looking at sugarsync.
    Dropbox seems more robust on Mac system, while sugarsync is actually in beta testing on this side, but sugarsync has more attractive price options ...
    Any suggestions ?
    Anyone has for example tried to syncronize a large virtual disk (VMware for example) or large Aperture library ?

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i don't know anything about sugarsync, but i have heard that there are more dropbox plans coming. (dropbox forums i think!)

3. Zonyc macrumors member

Just checked the dropbox site. The only plan they have right now is 50 gigs for 9.99 a month or 99 a year.

Sugarsync offers many more plans: 10, 30, 60, 100, and 250 gig plans for 24.99, 49.99, 99.99, 149.99, 249.99 respectively.

So as you can see, for the same price (99 bucks a year) you get 10 gigs more with sugarsync.. The good thing about dropbox is they offer 2 gigs of storage for free, unlike sugar sync which only has a 45 day trial.

Personally, I prefer the overall robustness of dropbox on mac, but don't need the additional storage.

4. rvinny macrumors regular

yeah but SugarSync supports the iPhone and BlackBerry. I was in the same boat but decided to stick with MobileMe & iDisk. Download the QuickOffice app for $1.99 - cheaper than one month of any of these services.

5. duky macrumors 6502

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I've been trying Dropbox for the last few days and I like it

I haven't used Sugarsync so cannot really give much of a comparison, sorry I know that's what the topic is here but I thought I'd share my experiences with Dropbox
    So far so good ,one or two small niggles like the site doesn't seem to have much info on setup for newbs that I can find.

I suppose the main 'problem' I'm having is that I can't seem to sync up with other dropbox users that I need to sync with but it is in BETA so I guess I'll run with it and see what happens, for the most part it's pretty sweet.

d

7. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I've been using DropBox for a while and have filed it in the 'it just works' category. With 2GB for free, it's like having a flash drive you don't have to plug in :D. Given how new these services are, though, I wouldn't trust it to handle anything heavy-duty like a VMware image.

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

uggh! I wish this had been posted earlier! For whatever reason I was thinking that Sky Drive was the same kind of service as Live Sync... A whole itunes library you say? I'll have to give it a try.

Dropbox is still beta as well. I've been using it for over a year now and have come to completely depend on it. I have not had any problems with it at all. The problems I have had were to do with my own stupidity. Also, dropbox support has thus far been really good.

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

DropBox all day way. I only use the free option, but it is nothing but bliss in syncing a small amount of files. And 2GB holds a lot more regular documents than you'd think.

10. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Dropbox mirrors a folder on your computer, similar to the way iDisk does, so the files are all stored locally and just get copied to the server, so VMWare would actually be loading from a local disk image.

I've been using Dropbox for a while, and I love it. I don't need more than 2GB, and they have confirmed an iPhone version is being developed (check their forums).

11. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I have Mobileme but am disappointed that you cant use time machine with idisk. I need a better solution after I accidentally messed up a large spreadsheet today on my idisk and didnt have a backup.
    Just had a quick look at sugarsync and looks pretty cool. I am guessing that you can use time machine with ease as sugarsync actually syncs the folders from your mac, not affecting time machine.

12. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I basicly use Dropbox and iDisk... but I am not going to talk about iDisk!!

I just looked on the website... and you can get 100GB's of storage... and so.. you might as well do that!!

[​IMG]

I would go with that... and also the fact that it has such amazing OS integration!!

J

13. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Removed Sugarsync and installed DropBox (sorry I didnt want to create a new thread for this so though I would add on my thoughts for DropBox vs Idisk).

All I needed was timed backups created by time machine and files that were synced up over the net for multiple Macs.
    Idisk seems to work (ok, apart from certain errors when Mac's try to sync at the same time) however you have to mess around to find a previous backup by opening up the sparse image in your Library.

Dropbox is superb, it syncs up between Macs in seconds (depending on file sizes) and as an added bonus it saves copies of file versions on the internet cloud so I dont even have to go back to time machine (although time machine does keep backups every hour).

My question is, why cant idisk work like DropBox!?? I would even just be happy if time machine would work with Idisk.

The version history of file changes on DropBox is pure bliss for me! now I just seem to be using mobile me for email and calendar entries although I do have both of these services with my work exchange account so its questionable if I renew MobileMe this year.

How about Apple buy out DropBox!? :D