Sugestion for a new MBP product line

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Manuelrodrigues, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Manuelrodrigues, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

Manuelrodrigues macrumors member

Manuelrodrigues

Hi there,

I'm a graphic and movie professional. I do stills, animation, and video editing. I mostly work in "live design". I run video during concerts and business events. All of this I do on my MacBook Pro. I love the machine but I envy al the options my colleagues have who use a windows based platform. They have better cpu and gpu options. I understand Apple is trying to make the mbp as power efficient and portable (small and lightweight) as possible but for me these are not the most important features. It sure is sexi but I would love to trade 7 hours of battery life for a better CPU and I would gladly carry 2 kilos extra and have a bigger laptop if it would include a better gpu.

Recently nvidia released the gt980mxm. That's a full desktop 980 in a laptop format. It's lightyears faster than the current gpu offerings in the MacBook Pro. Additionally Intel released a laptop Xeon processor. This is also much faster that the current cpu offering of apple. All this glorious hardware is going into windows based laptops and we the Mac users are stuck using hardware which is old and (in my view) not worthy of the label "pro".

So to conclude here's my question: please apple make a portable workstation (notebook) using state of the art hardware concentrating on performance in stead of battery efficiency, weight and size of the laptop...

Who's with me!?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not nearly enough people to make it worth their while and posting on mac rumours means nothing to apple you sort of have to contact them if you want things to change.

They won't though so you have a choice use a macbook, which clearly does what you need or you would have changed it for something else or buy something else and have specs you don't need.

3. Dead0k macrumors regular

long battery + slim design VS better performance is like a hatchback with 4-6 litres/100km vs ford mustang 10-12 litres/100km

wait for the next update :) probably you will get what you want

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see Apple doing this, it seems to go against the grain of just fast enough configurations but better battery life. That is they'll gladly remove the dGPU from most of the configurations because it will have a positive impact the battery.

Likewise they are in the mode of making everything thinner, faster CPUs/GPUs that you referenced need more aggressive cooling solutions inwhich a thinner design may not be able to handle.

As for the Pro moniker, that is just a pure markeing term, these laptops weren't designed with the professional in mind. It was named pro to differentiate from the now dead (but somewhat resurrected) MacBook like (the old white laptops)