Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Would like to know if you have any good recommendations for an external Blu-Ray read/write drives for the new iMac 5K? Thanks, Ray :rolleyes:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
What makes a recommendation (or drive) good for you?
There is nothing Mac-specific, so you can pick anything that suits your taste.
I personally use a somewhat old LG BH10LS30 drive inside a basic 5.25" USB enclosure without giving it much thought.
That drive excelled in having capability to reflash it with riplock-free firmware.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions..... I'm a DJ/KJ that still uses cd's and DVD's on occasion along with video. I also do some backing up on them as well. Samsung looks to be a great choice. Size, portability and price all is very much appealing. As far as 2.0 or 3.0, not a deal breaker for me. I only rip at very low speeds for best quality. Thanks again for the help. Ray ;)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have the Samsung 506 and it's a good drive.

Particularly notable is that it has never required more than one USB cable for connection to the Mac I have (2012 Mini).

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
I bought and returned the SAMSUNG SE-506CB

It burned coaster after coaster. I upgraded the firmware.. still coasters. I special ordered pioneer disks from japan "recommended". Still more coasters. It was probably just a lemon.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Sorry to hear that you had issues with one......... Like anything else, there's bound to be a some bad apples in the bunch. With that being said, the Samsung looks to be the best thing going for now. Thanks again to everyone for the replies and if you see anything better, please chime in. Ray ;)

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
What makes a recommendation (or drive) good for you?
There is nothing Mac-specific, so you can pick anything that suits your taste.
I personally use a somewhat old LG BH10LS30 drive inside a basic 5.25" USB enclosure without giving it much thought.
That drive excelled in having capability to reflash it with riplock-free firmware.

I kinda went the along the same route. I purchased an internal Samsung SH-B123L and placed it in a 5.25" USB enclosure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.