Suggest a good high-end, future-proof camcorder for a friend?

Beefwitted

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm a DSLR guy and my friend wants my advice about buying a good camcorder. And I have zero idea! He asked me an opinion about Panasonic HDC-SD800. I looked up the specs and reviews and found that it was not as good as its competitors in the same price range?

So here I am, asking the opinions of the pros here. What would be a good firstcamcorder for home use at a similar price point. An all-around one with an emphasis on picture quality and ease of use as opposed to ease of editing and such.

Thanks!

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
I always recommend Canon, their consumer camcorders are exceptionally high quality for the money in my experience.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Good for any budget really. The HF-S20 is really solid but is close to $700. The HF-M41 is also good for slightly less, but I only have experience using the S20. I can show you examples of what it shoots, like this while at full zoom.

Beefwitted

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Good for any budget really. The HF-S20 is really solid but is close to $700. The HF-M41 is also good for slightly less, but I only have experience using the S20. I can show you examples of what it shoots, like this while at full zoom.
Thanks mate. Will check 'em out and let you know what he decides. :)

dhgeyer

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
I'm having very good luck with the HF M41. I also have a HV30, but don't want to deal with tape anymore. The HF M41 seems to me to yield outstanding quality at high quality settings, and is quite easy to use.

I would caution against telling anyone that any electronic hardware (or software for that matter) is "future proof". Electronic device years seem to be a lot shorter than dog years!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Keep in mind that the new camcorders from all of the major players were just announced last week at CES. As a result, I've noticed that stock has been drying up at Amazon and the 3rd party affiliates have higher prices than Amazon had just 3 weeks ago.

The new models are supposed to be available in March. That's what I'm gonna do ... but I don't know how much longer my miniDV camcorder is gonna last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.