Suggest a good high-end, future-proof camcorder for a friend?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Stanley Lyndon, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Stanley Lyndon macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm a DSLR guy and my friend wants my advice about buying a good camcorder. And I have zero idea! He asked me an opinion about Panasonic HDC-SD800. I looked up the specs and reviews and found that it was not as good as its competitors in the same price range?

So here I am, asking the opinions of the pros here. What would be a good firstcamcorder for home use at a similar price point. An all-around one with an emphasis on picture quality and ease of use as opposed to ease of editing and such.

Thanks!

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I always recommend Canon, their consumer camcorders are exceptionally high quality for the money in my experience.

3. Stanley Lyndon thread starter macrumors member

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Good for any budget really. The HF-S20 is really solid but is close to $700. The HF-M41 is also good for slightly less, but I only have experience using the S20. I can show you examples of what it shoots, like this while at full zoom.

5. Stanley Lyndon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mate. Will check 'em out and let you know what he decides. :)

6. dhgeyer macrumors newbie

I'm having very good luck with the HF M41. I also have a HV30, but don't want to deal with tape anymore. The HF M41 seems to me to yield outstanding quality at high quality settings, and is quite easy to use.

I would caution against telling anyone that any electronic hardware (or software for that matter) is "future proof". Electronic device years seem to be a lot shorter than dog years!

7. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Keep in mind that the new camcorders from all of the major players were just announced last week at CES. As a result, I've noticed that stock has been drying up at Amazon and the 3rd party affiliates have higher prices than Amazon had just 3 weeks ago.

The new models are supposed to be available in March. That's what I'm gonna do ... but I don't know how much longer my miniDV camcorder is gonna last.