Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
Hi,
I have a client who has a Time capsule outside of the property in a shed, this is wirelessly connected to an Airport Extreme which provides the primary network.
The computers connected to the airport extreme can see the time capsule and backup to it, however time machine regularly loosing sight of the time capsule and therefore is unable to backup to it automatically.
Can anyone suggest a method of having the TC nearsite, connected to a primary AE network wireless network
Thanks

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Perhaps this is a trick question, but i would suggest not putting the TC in the shed.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
There is no good reason for the network to be dropping at that distance. Can you provide additional information regarding the network configuration? Is this G, N, 5GHz, 2.4? Is it configured as WDS?

This might be as simple as a neighboring network conflicting with the channel that's being used, so you might try changing the channel.

Time Capsule also tends to run hot so if the shed is a warm environment that could present a problem.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
its offsite for security from theft mainly, its hidden away.
Its a wireless N network, TC is set to extend the AE network.
I am thinking an EOP might be the best solution as there is power to the shed.

djwobble

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Virginia Beach, Virginia
its offsite for security from theft mainly, its hidden away.
Its a wireless N network, TC is set to extend the AE network.
I am thinking an POE might be the best solution as there is power to the shed.

Ah, OK. Does the shed have some type security camera pointing at it?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what data is being stored? Customer info? Emails? Based on the type of data, I would consider somewhere more secure to store the data.

Not to get off topic though...

Consider a directional antenna. May run you a few extra dollars but it can be done. POE might work just as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.